Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by m1380103 <m1...@qub.ac.uk> on 2007/02/22 15:53:10 UTC

GraphicImage Question

Basically I'm building an ecommerce site using MyFaces.  I have over a years
experience with it, though I've come across a problem I have never
encountered before.

For this site the user can upload images of the item they are selling.
Except I am having some problems with storing this and displaying the info
on screen.  I was going to save the image to a location locally
("C:\images\uniqueId") and display this with <h:graphicImage> but it does
seem to like reading from this location.  I am running on a windows machine
but noticed when supplying the string for the location of an icon saved
within the application the directory would be /Deploy Name/image.

How can I use the graphicImage tag to read from outside it's JBoss
deployment?  Or would it be better saving somewhere else when a user uploads
an image?

Any help would be much appreciated as I have no experience with uploading
and saving of images on this form of web application.  I would prefer to
save a link in the database and display this way if possible.

Thanks
Michael.

Re: [Solved] GraphicImage Question

Posted by Josué Alcalde González <jo...@gmail.com>.
El vie, 23-02-2007 a las 03:46 -0800, m1380103 escribió:
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> The model for the application was created using EJBs previously with the
> image variable used as a string in the database.  I planned to build the
> front end without changing the model as a MVC proof.

Then, use a PhaseListener to retrieve image from a file and output the content.
It is the same, but instead of reading from a database resultset, you
should read from a file, as in any Java application.

Here there is an example for a phase listener that send a image:
http://jroller.com/page/cagataycivici?entry=phaselistener_renders_an_image_no

Posted by m1380103 <m1...@qub.ac.uk>.
Thanks for the feedback.

Posted by Ken McArthur <ke...@gmail.com>.
Michael,

Here's another option you can try that I've used successfully.  Store images
in a database and create a PhaseListener to retrieve image and output the
content.

Ken

On 2/22/07, m1380103 <m1...@qub.ac.uk> wrote:

> Oh yeah of course.  Can't believe I got stuck on this problem without
> thinking of it as being run through a remote browser.  I'll fix this by
> making an image object reference in the code running on the server, rather
> than in the web page.
>
> Thanks, I'll try using my brain next time.
> Michael.
>

> Veit Guna-2 wrote:
> >
> > Did I miss something? You're talking about an webapp right? That means,
> > a user from location A calls your application at location B (A and B are
> > on different machines). So when the user uploads the image, it will be
> > stored on B, right? So you (browser on A)can't access that file through
> > an absolute (local) path! I think "value" takes an URL that the browser
> > has to resolve. When this is C: it can't be reached on the server - it
> > will try to find it on the local (A) machine. Just look into the source
> > of your page, it will point to something like "C:...". It should be
> > something like "http://youtserver/webapp/file" or "/webapp/file".
> >
> > But maybe I didn't get you right...
> >
> > regards,
> > Veit
> >
> > m1380103 schrieb:
> >> See that's why my problem came about.
> >>
> >> I wanted to save on the local folder thinking it would be simple to use
> >> graphicimage with either c:\\images\\uniqueId or c:\images or c:/images
> >> but
> >> I haven't found any way to work yet.  I think it might be helped if I
> >> pass
> >> the image directory location from the java class.  The strange thing I
> >> noticed from the page source after JSF had rendered was that the
> windows
> >> \
> >> was not shown in the source.  That's why I thought it might be related
> >> the graphicImage tag's use of the \ symbol, even when \\ was used.
> >>
> >> I can't seem to find an example anywhere online where the tag is used
> >> read from outside the deployment directory, maybe the original idea for
> >> writing a renderer so the directory for the images can be set is the
> only
> >> way to go about this.

> an
> wouldn't

> the
> would

> over

> the
> it

> user

> prefer

303-619-6607
http://adsea.com

Re: [Solved] GraphicImage Question

Posted by m1380103 <m1...@qub.ac.uk>.

Posted by Veit Guna <ve...@gmx.de>.

Posted by m1380103 <m1...@qub.ac.uk>.

Posted by Michał 'Gandalf' Stawicki <st...@gmail.com>.
Perhaps:

<graphicImage value="C:\\images\\uniqueId">

?

michael

On 22/02/07, m1380103 <m1...@qub.ac.uk> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply,
>
> I have spent some time looking over the JSF examples, including the
> sandboxes graphicDynamicImage.  My problem really lies in displaying an
> image from outside the deployment directory.  There is no dynamic action
> needed in my application so I thought the standard graphicImage would do,
> just not sure why my <graphicImage value="C:\images\uniqueId"> wouldn't
> work.
>
> I will look into extending the imagerenderer to read images from a directory
> on the hard drive, though if anyone knows a simple example of using the
> graphicImage and reading from a standard windows folder, the help would be
> much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Michael.
>

> Veit Guna-2 wrote:
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > Take a look at the sandbox graphicDynamicImage. There you can write your
> > own ImageRenderer and you're free where you read the images from.
> >
> > In my webapp uploaded files go to a separate directory outside the
> > deployment directory of tomcat. The ImageRenderer reads files from there
> > and displays them to the user.
> >
> > Perhaps it helps.
> >
> > regards,
> > Veit
> >

> > m1380103 schrieb:
> >> Basically I'm building an ecommerce site using MyFaces.  I have over a
> >> years
> >> experience with it, though I've come across a problem I have never
> >> encountered before.
> >>
> >> For this site the user can upload images of the item they are selling.
> >> Except I am having some problems with storing this and displaying the
> >> info
> >> on screen.  I was going to save the image to a location locally
> >> ("C:\images\uniqueId") and display this with <h:graphicImage> but it does
> >> seem to like reading from this location.  I am running on a windows
> >> machine
> >> but noticed when supplying the string for the location of an icon saved
> >> within the application the directory would be /Deploy Name/image.
> >>
> >> How can I use the graphicImage tag to read from outside it's JBoss
> >> deployment?  Or would it be better saving somewhere else when a user
> >> uploads
> >> an image?
> >>
> >> Any help would be much appreciated as I have no experience with uploading
> >> and saving of images on this form of web application.  I would prefer to
> >> save a link in the database and display this way if possible.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Michael.

stawicki@gmail.com
http://stawicki.jasliska.pl