Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Michele Sciabarra <mi...@sciabarra.com> on 2018/09/19 16:32:27 UTC

Asking opinions about "Learning OpenWhisk" a book from O'Reilly I am writing

Hello all,

I am not sure if it is appropriate to talk of this on the mailing list or not. If not please let me know and I will stop immediately and apologize for this post. I assume for now it is acceptable (because I saw similar discussions on other mailing lists on the Apache Group), so I post this.

As some community members already know,  I wrote some chapters (6) of a book on OpenWhisk (so you know what you did when I disappeared for a few months :)), then I was close to release it as open source and I asked what to do of them on the Slack channel.  In a sense the book was complete and ready to release.

To my surprise, instead of recommending to release the book as Open Source I was told instead that publishing it with a prestigious editor would have been better.

So I dared to propose the book to the (IMHO) most prestigious technical publisher I know, O'Reilly, and guess what, the book was approved!

The chapters I wrote so far focus on Javascript. However, I was recommended (by Carlos and Rodric) not to talk only of Javascript. There is a lot of stuff on Javascript people are looking for learning about other languages.

So I ended up with a plan to cover also Python and Go.
This is the planned TOC so far. I am asking for opinions on it:

TItle: Learning OpenWhisk

Part1: Introducing Serverless Development  in JavaScript

- Serverless and OpenWhisk Architecture
- A Simple Serverless Application in JavaScript
- OpenWhisk CLI and JavaScript API
- Common Patterns in OpenWhisk
- Integration Patterns in OpenWhis
- Testing OpenWhisk Applications

Part 2: Advanced Serverless Development in Python and GoLang

- Using Python in OpenWhisk
- Using Databases in OpenWhisk
- Creating an Alexa Skill in Python
- Using GoLang in OpenWhisk
- Using Message Queues in OpenWhisk
- Creating a Slackbot in GoLang

Appendixes
- Deployment with wskdeploy
- Installing OpenWhisk in Kubernetes

The key concern is if a similar TOC is acceptable and making the best compromise, or the book could be too wide (and hard to read) for the potential audience.

In my opinion, it should be a good compromise between completeness without requiring too many skills. But here I am open to hearing other opinions. For example, I thought to stick only to javascript but then I would lose more advanced aspects that can be of interests to many developers.

Note I can share freely drafts or chapters of the book with members of the community is interested. Contact me privately. But keep in mind the publisher give me only 10 free copies so I cannot promise too many printed free copies :) :) :)

PS: the Animal!  You know each O'Reilly book has an animal in the cover. After a lot of thinking, I proposed an animal not yet used but I think it fits a lot OpenWhisk: the Pagurus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagurus). Do you like the idea?

--
  Michele Sciabarra
  michele@sciabarra.com

Re: Asking opinions about "Learning OpenWhisk" a book from O'Reilly I am writing

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
Congrats Michelle !!

TOC looks good, you have the architecture and building an app cover, and in
3 languages that's more than good IMO

One important info I would not leave out is WebActions what they and how to
deal with them.
I see many users having trouble finding good examples on building a
REST/WEB API, on how to parse headers, query parameters, path parameters,
content-types (binary, images, text, json) how to build the the http
response and errors. Also how to implement simple oAUTH single sign-on flow.

So maybe a simple web api with social login might be a good example.

-- Carlos

Posted by David Breitgand <DA...@il.ibm.com>.
Hi Michele,

Congratulations on the O'Reilly book proposal acceptance!
I also suggest including wskadmin in the Appendixes.

Another suggestion for the Appendixes is Lean OpenWhisk:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/3886
I believe it will be merged by the time you write the book.

Thank you.

-- david
David Breitgand, Ph. D.
IBM Research -- Haifa, Israel
Tel: +972-4-829-1007 | Mobile: +972 54 7277-881

Posted by Michele Sciabarra <mi...@sciabarra.com>.
Looking for a complete working example?

Here you go! The code of chapter 2, that is already open and free:

https://github.com/learning-openwhisk/chapter2-contact

PS sorry if I am abusing the list, but I think this is free sample code of OpenwWisk useful for everyone.

--
  Michele Sciabarra
  michele@sciabarra.com

Posted by Randy Jenkins <rj...@gmail.com>.