Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by David Keyes <da...@flashline.com> on 2003/06/04 20:27:19 UTC

Mapping DeltaV to Various SCMs Using Slide Stores - Should I Proceed?

I am evaluating Slide as a possible solution to interfacing our J2EE app to various SCMs, using DeltaV as the intermediary.  We hope to use WVCM as the client-side API for talking DeltaV to Slide.  High-level architecture:

       app

   WVCM/DeltaV

   +--Slide--+
ClearCase   CVS
 Store     Store

Our original concept was to write Slide stores to access the various SCMs.  For example, we would write a ClearCase store, etc.  However, I am beginning to doubt whether something like this will work with Slide as it exists now.

Here are my doubts.  First, I need to be able to map DeltaV functionality to different SCMs.  However, it appears that the DeltaV setup and configuration is global within slide.  For example, when I create a new workspace, and then version-control elements from various other namespaces within the Slide domain (each namespace using its own store), are the DeltaV operations (e.g., chckout/checkin) on the elements in the workspace going to get issued to the correct store?

I think what I need is for a DeltaV checkout command to get mapped to a ClearCase checkout command.  It seems like I could probably make this work if all access was done within the namespace that is mapped to the specific SCM store.  Where things get weird though is if I have, for example, two users trying to access different versions of the same file.  Workspaces would be the right way to do this...

Any thoughts?

Dave Keyes