Posted to mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Xiaoqiao He <he...@apache.org> on 2023/12/04 12:39:20 UTC

[DISCUSS] Make some release lines EOL

Hi folks,

There are many discussions about which release lines should we still
consider actively
maintained in history. I want to launch this topic again, and try to get a
consensus.

From download page[1] and active branches page[2], we have the following
release lines:
Hadoop 3.3 Release (release-3.3.5 at Jun 22 2022),  360 commits checked in
since last release.
Hadoop 3.2 Release (release-3.2.4 at Jul 11, 2022) 36 commits checked in
since last release.
Hadoop 2.10 Release (release-2.10.2 at May 17, 2022) 24 commits checked in
since last release.

And Hadoop 3.4.0 will be coming soon which Shilun Fan (maybe cooperating
with Ahmar Suhail?)
has been actively working on getting the 3.4.0 release out.

Considering the less updates for some active branches, should we declare to
our downstream
users that some of these lines will EOL?

IMO we should announce EOL branch-2.10 and branch-3.2 which are not active
now.
Then we could focus on minor active branches (branch-3.3 and branch-3.4)
and increase release pace.

So how about to keep branch-3.3 and branch-3.4 release lines as actively
maintained, And mark branch-2.10 and branch-3.2 EOL? Any opinions? Thanks.

Best Regards,
- He Xiaoqiao

[1] https://hadoop.apache.org/releases.html
[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HADOOP/Hadoop+Active+Release+Lines

Re: [DISCUSS] Make some release lines EOL

Posted by Xiaoqiao He <he...@apache.org>.
Thanks all for your feedback, I will start an official vote thread.

Best Regards,
- He Xiaoqiao

Posted by Xiaoqiao He <he...@apache.org>.

Posted by Xiaoqiao He <he...@apache.org>.

Posted by Xiaoqiao He <he...@apache.org>.

Posted by Masatake Iwasaki <iw...@apache.org>.
+1 on marking 3.2 EOL.

Posted by Masatake Iwasaki <iw...@apache.org>.
+1 on marking 3.2 EOL.

Posted by Masatake Iwasaki <iw...@apache.org>.
+1 on marking 3.2 EOL.

Posted by Masatake Iwasaki <iw...@apache.org>.
+1 on marking 3.2 EOL.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Xiaoqiao He <he...@apache.org>.
Thanks Ayush for your corrections. It is actually 2023 about release-3.3.5.

Posted by Xiaoqiao He <he...@apache.org>.

Posted by Xiaoqiao He <he...@apache.org>.

Posted by Xiaoqiao He <he...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ayush Saxena <ay...@gmail.com>.