Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Lionel Villard <vi...@us.ibm.com> on 2003/08/01 17:03:20 UTC

XSLT/XQuery serialization: toward a separate implementation

Hi all,
        with the forthcoming W3C recommendation for XSLT 2.0 and XQuery
1.0 serialization, it'd be great whether we can provide a separate
implementation from the xslt processing. I think it should not be so hard
and long to cut dependencies with Xalan in the org.apache.xalan.serialize
package. What do you think? Should we also provide an other package name,
like org.apache.xquery.serialization (xquery because the serialization may
belong to the data model of xpath/xquery and xslt relies on this
datamodel) ?

Thanks!
Lionel Villard
IBM Research

Re: XSLT/XQuery serialization: toward a separate implementation

Posted by sc...@us.ibm.com.
I think it's a good idea.  I also think you should float this up to the
general list.  -scott

Lionel Villard <vi...@us.ibm.com> wrote on 08/01/2003 11:03:20 AM:

> Hi all,
>         with the forthcoming W3C recommendation for XSLT 2.0 and
> XQuery 1.0 serialization, it'd be great whether we can provide a
> separate implementation from the xslt processing. I think it should
> not be so hard and long to cut dependencies with Xalan in the org.
> apache.xalan.serialize package. What do you think? Should we also
> provide an other package name, like org.apache.xquery.serialization
> (xquery because the serialization may belong to the data model of
> xpath/xquery and xslt relies on this datamodel) ?
>
> Thanks!
> Lionel Villard
> IBM Research

Re: XSLT/XQuery serialization: toward a separate implementation

Posted by sc...@us.ibm.com.
> Truly modular serialization strikes me as more a Xerces kind of task
than a
> Xalan task, except in the special  case of running TrAX in
> identity-transformation mode.

I really think it should be it's own thing.  It's certainly not parser
technology.

-scott

Posted by Lionel Villard <vi...@us.ibm.com>.
The serializer should support differents kind of XML protocol, and should
facilitate the implementation of a new one. It is the reponsability of
XSLT processor to send events (whatever the protocol) in the correct
order.

I agree that it's more a xerces task. Is there any plans to implement a
separate serializing component there?

Lionel Villard
IBM Research

Joseph Kesselman/Watson/IBM@IBMUS