Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Karl Øie <ka...@gan.no> on 2001/10/10 13:53:59 UTC

RE: Arrg - need somebody who knows the inside of Cocoon2

you could try to put all the *.jar files in cocoon/WEB-INF/lib FIRST in the
system classpath so they are found before Enhydra's jar files. the most
frequent problem with cocoon and servlet containers is the DAMN jaxp
interface.

the problem lies in that any jaxp compatible parser hijacks the jaxp
defenition for good, so if enhydra has a old xerces version or another jaxp
parser in it's classpath, cocoon will fail as it expects xerces to be your
jaxp parser.

don't know if this helps, but try it

mvh karl

Posted by Søren Neigaard <ne...@mobilethink.dk>.
Posted by Karl Øie <ka...@gan.no>.
i think all calls to cocoon/ and beyond are catched by the cocoon servlet's
sitemap class. (anyone please correct me here!?!)

this is the only way i can imagine the sitemap to do it's mapping...

the web.xml file is starting the servlet
"org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet" and inside this cocoonservlet a
"org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon" object is created and inside this object the
sitemap is started.

so to get cocoon to work with enhydra you need to init a
"org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet" servlet with proper parameters.

then at last the servlet engine in tomcat is set to redirect everything to
this servlet by:

  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>Cocoon2</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

in the bottom of web.xml, this is perhaps done otherwise in enhydra and
should be your cue point.

hope this helps a little :-)

mvh karl øie

From: Søren Neigaard <ne...@mobilethink.dk>
--

> Well yes... I can't get Enhydra to deploy the WAR at all, so I took the
> structure from the WAR containing all the class files and config files,
and
> I use them instead. This works fine under Tomcat (tested it there to be
sure
> that wasn't my problem).
>
> I know it's a Web Application, but it's build up by servlets (if not, it's
> really spooky), and I guessed that Cocoon uses some sort of controller
> servlet. I just cant figure out how this servlet is referenced, it's not
> from web.xml (I can't find it anyway). Well I'm just very confused right
now
> :(

It's a servlet, referenced from the webapp's web.xml file, found under
WEB-INF
on the war package. You'll find a line like this:

<servlet-class>org.apache.cocoon.servlet.ParanoidCocoonServlet</servlet-clas
s>

Tomcat automatically deploys .war files found on the webapp directory on
startup. That's why you don't have to do anything else but drop the war file
on
the spot. I never used Enhydra, so I can't help you there. If it is able to

Sergio Carvalho
---------------
sergio.carvalho@acm.org

SV: SV: Arrg - need somebody who knows the inside of Cocoon2

From: Søren Neigaard <ne...@mobilethink.dk>
--

> Well yes... I can't get Enhydra to deploy the WAR at all, so I took the
> structure from the WAR containing all the class files and config files,
and
> I use them instead. This works fine under Tomcat (tested it there to be
sure
> that wasn't my problem).
>
> I know it's a Web Application, but it's build up by servlets (if not, it's
> really spooky), and I guessed that Cocoon uses some sort of controller
> servlet. I just cant figure out how this servlet is referenced, it's not
> from web.xml (I can't find it anyway). Well I'm just very confused right
now
> :(

It's a servlet, referenced from the webapp's web.xml file, found under
WEB-INF
on the war package. You'll find a line like this:

<servlet-class>org.apache.cocoon.servlet.ParanoidCocoonServlet</servlet-clas
s>

Tomcat automatically deploys .war files found on the webapp directory on
startup. That's why you don't have to do anything else but drop the war file
on
the spot. I never used Enhydra, so I can't help you there. If it is able to
extract .war archives, I'd try to go through that route, and find out why it
isn't deploying Cocoon. Perhaps enhydra doesn't automatically deploy new
.wars
and needs to receive a direct command to do so.

Sergio Carvalho
---------------
sergio.carvalho@acm.org

Re: SV: Arrg - need somebody who knows the inside of Cocoon2

Posted by Sergio Carvalho <se...@acm.org>.
From: Søren Neigaard <ne...@mobilethink.dk>
--

> Well yes... I can't get Enhydra to deploy the WAR at all, so I took the
> structure from the WAR containing all the class files and config files, and
> I use them instead. This works fine under Tomcat (tested it there to be sure
> that wasn't my problem).
>
> I know it's a Web Application, but it's build up by servlets (if not, it's
> really spooky), and I guessed that Cocoon uses some sort of controller
> servlet. I just cant figure out how this servlet is referenced, it's not
> from web.xml (I can't find it anyway). Well I'm just very confused right now
> :(

It's a servlet, referenced from the webapp's web.xml file, found under WEB-INF
on the war package. You'll find a line like this:
 <servlet-class>org.apache.cocoon.servlet.ParanoidCocoonServlet</servlet-class>

Tomcat automatically deploys .war files found on the webapp directory on
startup. That's why you don't have to do anything else but drop the war file on
the spot. I never used Enhydra, so I can't help you there. If it is able to
extract .war archives, I'd try to go through that route, and find out why it
isn't deploying Cocoon. Perhaps enhydra doesn't automatically deploy new .wars
and needs to receive a direct command to do so.

Sergio Carvalho
---------------
sergio.carvalho@acm.org

RE: Arrg - need somebody who knows the inside of Cocoon2

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
>From web.xml:

  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>Cocoon2</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet</servlet-class>
  </servlet>
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>Cocoon2</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>