Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Kimbro Staken <ks...@dbxmlgroup.com> on 2002/01/29 09:37:03 UTC

Re: Collections

Ideally you should open the collections and then use them as long as
possible. The overhead isn't huge, but it is still there.

If you don't close the collections properly, you'll orphan servant
instances on the server which is not exactly desirable.

On Monday, January 28, 2002, at 02:50 PM, Mark J. Stang wrote:

> From earlier posts, some one said that Collections need to
> be closed, to free up resources.   My question is when should
> they be closed.   How efficient is it to open and close them?
> For instance, every time a request is made?   Or should
> I open them at the begining of the program and close them
> at the end?   What happens if I don't close them, will
> the ORBs and such in the middle free the resources or
> will I create a  resource leak?
>
> thanks,
>
> Mark

Kimbro Staken
XML Database Software, Consulting and Writing
http://www.xmldatabases.org/

Re: Collections

Posted by Kimbro Staken <ks...@dbxmlgroup.com>.
On Tuesday, January 29, 2002, at 08:01 AM, Mark J. Stang wrote:

> Kimbro,
> I am not as CORBA savvy as I should be, do these orphan servant
> instances stay around until the server is stopped and started?   Or
> do they time out?   My "client" is a server using Xindice for its
> datastore so it is long running, but are their any other resources
> I should be careful of?

They will hang around until the server is restarted. That is the only
major resource issue you'll need to worry about.

Re: Collections

Posted by "Mark J. Stang" <ma...@earthlink.net>.
Kimbro,