Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org> on 2010/08/28 20:38:01 UTC

Re: security & attachments & replication & hashing

Hi Samuel,

Exposing the md5 hash in attachment properties is more or less
trivial, but not yet done. Ticket 687 was more or less forgotten
(nobody else asked for the feature or commented on it).

Please, leave your comment there and/or vote for it.
I'll implement it if nobody else has votes against the feature.

Thanks for "resurrecting" the ticket.

As for the MITM attacks in replication, I don't think that exposing an
hash/digest would prevent them, as an attacker could inject his own
hashes/digests. I think the way to go is through SSL (although not
perfect of course).

cheers

--
Filipe David Manana,
fdmanana@gmail.com, fdmanana@apache.org

Re: security & attachments & replication & hashing

Posted by "Eli Stevens (Gmail)" <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Filipe David Manana
<fd...@apache.org> wrote:
> Exposing the md5 hash in attachment properties is more or less
> trivial, but not yet done. Ticket 687 was more or less forgotten
> (nobody else asked for the feature or commented on it).
>
> Please, leave your comment there and/or vote for it.
> I'll implement it if nobody else has votes against the feature.
>
> Thanks for "resurrecting" the ticket.

I would find having an md5 sum of the uncompressed data present in the
_attachments info to be very useful (I just found and voted for the
ticket).

Just lending my vocal support for the idea, since there didn't seem to
be much already.  :)

Eli