Posted to xml-commons-dev@xerces.apache.org by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com> on 2010/11/14 18:54:55 UTC

Completing XML Commons' migration to the Xerces TLP

Hi all,

With the XML project appearing to be slowly shutting down (Xindice is now
the only project left there) I think it's time we fully moved XML Commons
over to Xerces. In my opinion these changes are long overdue.

Here's what I'm proposing:

==================================

1) Move the website to xerces.apache.org

Proposing the new site address to be http://xerces.apache.org/xml-commons
and set up a permanent redirect to it for old links to
http://xml.apache.org/commons

2) Move the download area to http://www.apache.org/dist/xerces

Releases would be located under
http://www.apache.org/dist/xerces/xml-commons with a permanent redirect set
up for links to the old one http://www.apache.org/dist/xml/commons

commons-dev@xml.apache.org --> xml-commons-dev@xerces.apache.org
commons-cvs@xml.apache.org --> merge into the existing
commits@xerces.apache.org

All of Xerces' other sub-projects share the same commits list. Hoping this
will improve oversight / awareness of activities in XML Commons in the rest
of the project.

4) Migrate XML Commons from Bugzilla to JIRA

All of Xerces' other sub-projects track their issues in JIRA. Occasionally
issues are opened against XML Commons which should have really gone to
Xerces-J or Xalan. Right now we return these as invalid and ask the
reporter to reopen against the correct project in JIRA. With this move we
can transfer the issue to the right JIRA project on their behalf.

5) Move XML Commons to Xerces SVN

Proposing that we move this out from 'xml/commons' to
'xerces/xml-commons' (with no change to the committer list).

==================================

I believe that covers everything. If no one objects I'll start the process
of moving things over.

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: Completing XML Commons' migration to the Xerces TLP

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
I sent this proposal out about a week ago. Only got positive feedback from
folks so going to take that as a thumbs up to start implementing it.

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Michael Glavassevich
<mr...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> Hi Hiranya,
>
> Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com> wrote on 11/15/2010 01:47:56 AM:
>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> This is a very good migration plan. Regarding the mailing lists, I'm
>> usually bit hesitant on merging a mailing list to another. But I believe
>> the traffic level on these lists are not that high. So it should be fine.
>
> I happen to be subscribed to the "new" and merged dev@ws.apache.org list, so
> am quite aware of how such moves can annoy and chase away some of the
> subscribers, but I think it's the right thing to do with the commits list
> for XML Commons.
>
>> However it would be great if we can somehow tag the
>> commit mails to indicate the project name, so subscribers can easily
>> filter them out.
>
> Should be easy to filter based on the subject line, e.g. grepping for
> "/xerces/java/" vs. "/xerces/c/" vs. "/xerces/xml-commons/".

+1

Thanks,
Hiranya

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Hiranya,

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Hiranya,

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

This is a very good migration plan. Regarding the mailing lists, I'm
usually bit hesitant on merging a mailing list to another. But I
believe the traffic level on these lists are not that high. So it
should be fine. However it would be great if we can somehow tag the

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Michael,
    I concur with you that it's logical to move XML commons project to
Xerces site, since it consists of building blocks for our XML work.

So +1 from me for this :)

<mr...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> With the XML project appearing to be slowly shutting down (Xindice is now
> the only project left there) I think it's time we fully moved XML Commons
> over to Xerces. In my opinion these changes are long overdue.
>
> Here's what I'm proposing:
>
> ==================================
>
> 1) Move the website to xerces.apache.org
>
> Proposing the new site address to be http://xerces.apache.org/xml-commons
> and set up a permanent redirect to it for old links to
> http://xml.apache.org/commons
>
> 2) Move the download area to http://www.apache.org/dist/xerces
>
> Releases would be located under
> http://www.apache.org/dist/xerces/xml-commons with a permanent redirect set
> up for links to the old one http://www.apache.org/dist/xml/commons

> commons-dev@xml.apache.org --> xml-commons-dev@xerces.apache.org
> commons-cvs@xml.apache.org --> merge into the existing
> commits@xerces.apache.org
>
> All of Xerces' other sub-projects share the same commits list. Hoping this
> will improve oversight / awareness of activities in XML Commons in the rest
> of the project.
>
> 4) Migrate XML Commons from Bugzilla to JIRA
>
> All of Xerces' other sub-projects track their issues in JIRA. Occasionally
> issues are opened against XML Commons which should have really gone to
> Xerces-J or Xalan. Right now we return these as invalid and ask the reporter
> to reopen against the correct project in JIRA. With this move we can
> transfer the issue to the right JIRA project on their behalf.
>
> 5) Move XML Commons to Xerces SVN
>
> Proposing that we move this out from 'xml/commons' to 'xerces/xml-commons'
> (with no change to the committer list).
>
> ==================================
>
> I believe that covers everything. If no one objects I'll start the process
> of moving things over.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Michael Glavassevich
> XML Parser Development
> IBM Toronto Lab
> E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
> E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Mukul Gandhi

Re: Completing XML Commons' migration to the Xerces TLP

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.