Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Deepal Dhariwal <de...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/17 14:10:14 UTC

ResourceInitializationException: Initialization of MetaMapAnnotator failed

Hello all,

I'm trying to use UIMA MetaMap annotator and I am getting following error
when I run document Analyser:
org.apazhe.uima.resource.ResourceInitializationException: Initialization of
annotator class "gov.nih.nlm.nls.metamap.uima.MetaMapAnnotator" failed.
cause by java.lang.RuntimException: Connection refused: connect: Check to
see if mmserver is running or if port and hostname specified for mmserver
are correct.

I am following steps from http://metamap.nlm.nih.gov/README_uima.html

Kindly let me know what is the error and how could it be resolved.

Regards
Deepal Dhariwal

Re: ResourceInitializationException: Initialization of MetaMapAnnotator failed

Posted by kameron cole <ka...@us.ibm.com>.
Marshall Schor <ms...@...> writes:

> On 10/17/2012 8:10 AM, Deepal Dhariwal wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm trying to use UIMA MetaMap annotator and I am getting following error
> > when I run document Analyser:
> > org.apazhe.uima.resource.ResourceInitializationException: Initialization of
> > annotator class "gov.nih.nlm.nls.metamap.uima.MetaMapAnnotator" failed.
> > cause by java.lang.RuntimException: Connection refused: connect: Check to
> > see if mmserver is running or if port and hostname specified for mmserver
> > are correct.
> >
> > I am following steps from http://metamap.nlm.nih.gov/README_uima.html
> >
> > Kindly let me know what is the error and how could it be resolved.
>
> I'm not sure, but from the error message, it appears that this annotator
> attempts to connect to some service on the internet, and that attempt failed.
>
> A possible thing to do is to look through the documentation for this annotator
> and see if it describes some configuration data that you might have to set up
> before it will work.
>
> -Marshall
> >
> > Regards
> > Deepal Dhariwal

It is difficult to find much help on this issue.  It's quite specific - the
MetMap server runs on some port - presumably 8066. This port should be
included in the AE descriptor, but it was not there in descriptor provided
from the MetaMap installation.  I had to add that, and the hostname parameter.

<nameValuePair>
        <name>metamap_server_port</name>
        <value>
          <integer>8066</integer>
        </value>
      </nameValuePair>
<nameValuePair>
        <name>metamap_server_host</name>
        <value>
          <string>127.0.0.1</string>
        </value>
      </nameValuePair>

Unfortunately, this does not resolve the issue.  Since the material at
MetMap is quite vague, I'm not sure which server they mean - there are 3 in
the basic runtime: the WSD Server, the Tagger Server, and the mmserver
itself.  I found the port of the TaggerServer, 1795, but changing this
doesn't help.

Has anyone ever gotten this to work?

Re: ResourceInitializationException: Initialization of MetaMapAnnotator failed

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.