Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org> on 2011/04/05 00:55:17 UTC

Compressing values before inserting them

Hi users,

I just want to share a useful tip when storing very fat values into
HBase, we were able to get some of our MR jobs an order of magnitude
faster by simply using Java's Deflater and then passing the byte[] to
Put (and the equivalent when retrieving the values with Inflator). We
also use LZO compression on top of that.

I created this jira in order to ingrate that into HBase's client layer
as a configuration option for families:

Hope that can be useful to someone,

J-D

Re: Compressing values before inserting them

Posted by Ferdy Galema <fe...@kalooga.com>.
Thanks. This seems very useful. Just to add, in terms of
compression/decompression speed, we're having very good performance with
the lzf codec. It is Apache licensed and pure Java code with no external
dependancies. See https://github.com/ning/compress/

Ferdy