Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Mike Rumph <mr...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/07 23:34:52 UTC

docs/manual/build/build.sh all fails with -Xbootclasspath/p no longer supported

I am trying to get set up to doc contributions for Apache HTTP Server
project.
I am following the directions in
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/docsformat.html
When I try to run .build.sh all, I get the following error:
-Xbootclasspath/p is no longer a supported option.
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

I see the following lines in build.sh:

if [ -n "$CYGHOME" ]; then
    exec "$JAVACMD" $ANT_OPTS -Xbootclasspath/p:"$LOCALCLASSPATH"
-classpath "$LOCALCLASSPATH" -Dant.home="${ANT_HOME}"
-Dcygwin.user.home="$CYGHOME" org.apache.tools.ant.Main $ANT_ARGS "$@"
else
    exec "$JAVACMD" $ANT_OPTS -Xbootclasspath/p:"$LOCALCLASSPATH"
-classpath "$LOCALCLASSPATH" -Dant.home="${ANT_HOME}"
org.apache.tools.ant.Main $ANT_ARGS "$@"
fi

My JAVA_HOME is set to /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64

So it looks like  -Xbootclasspath/p is not supported in Java 11.
What alternative should be used in build.sh?

Thanks,

Mike Rumph

Re: docs/manual/build/build.sh all fails with -Xbootclasspath/p no longer supported

Posted by Lucien Gentis <lu...@univ-lorraine.fr>.
Le 08/01/2020 à 00:51, Eric Covener a écrit :
> On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 6:35 PM Mike Rumph <mr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am trying to get set up to doc contributions for Apache HTTP Server project.
>> I am following the directions in http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/docsformat.html
>> When I try to run .build.sh all, I get the following error:
>> -Xbootclasspath/p is no longer a supported option.
>> Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
>> Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
>>
>> I see the following lines in build.sh:
>>
>> if [ -n "$CYGHOME" ]; then
>>      exec "$JAVACMD" $ANT_OPTS -Xbootclasspath/p:"$LOCALCLASSPATH" -classpath "$LOCALCLASSPATH" -Dant.home="${ANT_HOME}" -Dcygwin.user.home="$CYGHOME" org.apache.tools.ant.Main $ANT_ARGS "$@"
>> else
>>      exec "$JAVACMD" $ANT_OPTS -Xbootclasspath/p:"$LOCALCLASSPATH" -classpath "$LOCALCLASSPATH" -Dant.home="${ANT_HOME}" org.apache.tools.ant.Main $ANT_ARGS "$@"
>> fi
>>
>> My JAVA_HOME is set to /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64
>>
>> So it looks like  -Xbootclasspath/p is not supported in Java 11.
>> What alternative should be used in build.sh?
> I have this arg commented out in my sandbox, using java11 w/ IBM J9
> from adoptopenjdk.
>
> But I see now that the combo of java11 (and the change) does generate
> markup with some 8bit chars replaced by entities in the list of
> available languages for english 8859-1 pages.  But not any other
> unwanted changes.
8bit chars are not replaced by entities if you use UTF-8 encoding

Re: docs/manual/build/build.sh all fails with -Xbootclasspath/p no longer supported

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.