Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stuart Roebuck <st...@adolos.co.uk> on 2001/08/10 17:38:18 UTC

[Excalibur] DefaultPool not getting a logger

I've been trying to debug some problems with a Cocoon configuration and
discovered that some of my pool settings had a typo:

	max="32" pool-min="16"

I'd missed the "pool-" off the first attribute which resulted in Default
Pool being called with a min of 16 and a default max of 8.

This is dealt with in the following code in DefaultPool.java:

>         if( ( t_max < t_min ) || ( t_max < 1 ) )
>         {
>             if( null != getLogger() && getLogger().isWarnEnabled())
>             {
>                 getLogger().warn( "Maximum number of poolables specified
> must be at " +
>                                   "least 1 and must be greater than the
> minumum number " +
>                                   "of connections" );
>             }
>             t_max = ( t_min > 1 ) ? t_min : 1;
>         }

which, in this eventuality, sets the max to the min and carries on.
However, (I'm not sure whether this is an Avalon or a Cocoon issue)
because the logger has not been configured, no warning messages are issued!

Two questions:

1. Is there a full-proof way of ensuring that log messages appear?

2. Would it be worth considering setting t_max = t_min * 2, if it is
invalid, in the same way as it is set elsewhere when only a minimum is
specified?

Stuart