Posted to user@commons.apache.org by "Daniel F. Savarese" <df...@savarese.org> on 2004/10/03 22:28:38 UTC

Re: [Net-POP3] What does the POP3 package add?

In message <cj...@sea.gmane.org>, Digby writes:
>I don't wish to offend the developers, but was just wondering what its
>purpose was if there is a more function api out there.

NetComponents, now Commons Net, was written _before_ JavaMail.
NetComponents had different goals than JavaMail.  NetComponents was/is
a low level API.  JavaMail is a high level API.  The NetComponents
POP3 API is something one would have used to implement a JavaMail POP3
provider if JavaMail didn't ship with one already.  People who have to
deal with large messages, such as those containing attachments, like the
low-level API which allows you to deal directly with the data stream
unlike JavaMail which used to, and may still, buffer everything entirely
in RAM.

I'm adding this to the Wiki FAQ if it's not already there, because
it's come up before.

daniel