Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Neil Finlayson <ne...@atlanticshack.com> on 2006/04/30 11:46:52 UTC

Build management system and Subversion doesn't work (mostly)

Hi,

I'm trying to setup the automatic build management system Anthill to
work with Subversion and I'm afraid its almost unusable owing to the
very high frequency of svn Access Denied errors. Sometimes it works -
mostly it doesn't. I've used Anthill in the past with CVS and had no
such problem. The FAQ response below is basically very unsatisfactory.
Suggestions for workarounds most welcome.

Regards,

Neil Finlayson

svn: Can't move ... .svn\tmp\entries Access denied

 From FAQ

I'm getting occasional "Access Denied" errors on Windows. They seem to
happen at random. Why?

These appear to be due to the various Windows services that monitor the
filesystem for changes (anti-virus software, indexing services, the COM+
Event Notification Service). This is not really a bug in Subversion,
which makes it difficult for us to fix. A summary of the current state
of the investigation is available here. A workaround that should reduce
the incidence rate for most people was implemented in revision 7598; if
you have an earlier version, please update to the latest release.

Re: Build management system and Subversion doesn't work (mostly)

Posted by Neil Finlayson <ne...@atlanticshack.com>.
Thanks people. I've concluded that the problem is to do with conflicts
with anti-virus, as the FAQ indicates (Windows indexing service also
problematic apparently).

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Miha Vitorovic <mv...@nil.si>.
Neil Finlayson <ne...@atlanticshack.com> wrote on 30.04.2006 13:46:52:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to setup the automatic build management system Anthill to
> work with Subversion and I'm afraid its almost unusable owing to the
> very high frequency of svn Access Denied errors. Sometimes it works -
> mostly it doesn't. I've used Anthill in the past with CVS and had no
> such problem. The FAQ response below is basically very unsatisfactory.
> Suggestions for workarounds most welcome.

I don't personally know how Anthill works, but I must say that I have
never seen "Access denied" error with Subvresion, and I use it for over a
year. So maybe you can describe what you are trying to do, and might have
some sort of suggestion for you.

Cheers,
---
  Miha Vitorovic
  Inženir v tehničnem področju
  Customer Support Engineer

   NIL Data Communications,  Tivolska cesta 48,  1000 Ljubljana,  Slovenia
   Phone +386 1 4746 500      Fax +386 1 4746 501     http://www.NIL.si