Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by "Charles N. Harvey III" <ch...@alloy.com> on 2002/01/02 17:21:32 UTC

Turbine or Struts

I have been digging through the docs for Turbine and for Struts on
the Jakarta site and I am quite unsure of what to do.  I also know
that there is talk of a better and well documented integration of
Velocity and Struts.

Well, which do I choose?  Turbine is a development platform that
is wrapped around Velocity.  And it has the Turbine servlet that
acts as the broker.  So far what I am getting out of Struts is
a different type of broker servlet (controller).

How does Velocity tie into each of these?  In which one is it easier?
Which one will Velocity tie into better for full site development?
(I am lead to believe it is Turbine)

These are all powerful tools and I just want to be able to pick the
correct one for us.  And I am in the rare position where it is
completely clean slate here.  We get to start our java world all
over again with whatever I choose.

Thanks so much for the help and advice.

Charlie Harvey

Re: Turbine or Struts

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 1/2/02 11:36 AM, "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net> wrote:

> On 1/2/02 11:21 AM, "Charles N. Harvey III" <ch...@alloy.com> wrote:
>
>> I have been digging through the docs for Turbine and for Struts on
>> the Jakarta site and I am quite unsure of what to do.  I also know
>> that there is talk of a better and well documented integration of
>> Velocity and Struts.
>>
>> Well, which do I choose?  Turbine is a development platform that
>> is wrapped around Velocity.  And it has the Turbine servlet that
>> acts as the broker.  So far what I am getting out of Struts is
>> a different type of broker servlet (controller).
>>
>> How does Velocity tie into each of these?  In which one is it easier?
>> Which one will Velocity tie into better for full site development?
>> (I am lead to believe it is Turbine)
>>
>> These are all powerful tools and I just want to be able to pick the
>> correct one for us.  And I am in the rare position where it is
>> completely clean slate here.  We get to start our java world all
>> over again with whatever I choose.
>>
>> Thanks so much for the help and advice.
>>

> I won't recommend one over the other, as I couldn't do that fairly as I use
> neither.
>
> Real Soon Now is coming a Velocity-Struts integration package that lets you
> use velocity as the view layer in Struts, in the same ways that JSPs are
> used in Struts.

I'm pretty scatterbrained these days - what I meant to add was that this
will be bleeding edge stuff - not rocket science, but just new, so you will
have to take that into consideration.

System and Software Consulting
"We will be judged not by the monuments we build, but by the monuments we
destroy" - Ada Louise Huxtable

Re: Turbine or Struts

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.