Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Swapnil Bawaskar <sb...@pivotal.io> on 2016/06/16 06:27:53 UTC

update website for WAN, CQ and native client

Hi,
WAN and CQ were the major features of M2 release[1]. Also, Native client
has been donated to apache [2]. Considering these new features, I would
like to update the geode website [3] <http://geode.incubator.apache.org/>
and add these new features as captured in this image [4]
<http://i.imgur.com/3Jad68K.png>.

Thanks!
Swapnil.

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12318420&version=12334709
[2]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-geode-dev/201605.mbox/%3CCAEwge-ENhF4s_k5Y%3Dh9-mNFANb777j8bNDe4U9jahPYim61pfg%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Re: update website for WAN, CQ and native client

Posted by Swapnil Bawaskar <sb...@pivotal.io>.
Thanks everyone for chiming in!
These change have been pushed. checkout: http://geode.incubator.apache.org/

Posted by Udo Kohlmeyer <uk...@pivotal.io>.
+1,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
+1 LGTM!

Posted by Swapnil Bawaskar <sb...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Posted by Gregory Chase <gc...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by John Blum <jb...@pivotal.io>.
+1

--
-John
503-504-8657

Re: update website for WAN, CQ and native client

Posted by Swapnil Bawaskar <sb...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by theseusyang <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Blum <jb...@pivotal.io>.
+1 to "multi-site" (maybe even augmented with, dare I say "replication"),
though I personally don't have a problem with WAN.  Of course, that might
seem dated, but then I am getting older, ;-)

Perhaps WAN with a short description.. "Multi-Site Replication for
Active/Active, Active/Passive (DR), Sunsetting, ..." (etc with any other
easy to summarize UCs.

Posted by Michael Stolz <ms...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Gregory Chase <gc...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@pivotal.io>.
I agree with Greg that we shouldn't use the Redis logo.

Posted by Gregory Chase <gc...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Anilkumar Gingade <ag...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Swapnil Bawaskar <sb...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Gregory Chase <gc...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by John Blum <jb...@pivotal.io>.
Hmmm, I disagree.

First, I think Replication (and Partitioning, for that matter) imply
distribution (as does WAN).  Given Geode is a IMDG, the keyword being
"grid", then it is obvious distribution occurs in the scale-out
(shared-nothing) architecture to ensure availability and
reliability/resiliency to failure.

Also, I think "Replication" has a very specific meaning here.  You both
distribute and replicate the data.  But, how you distribute and replicate
the data depends on your "data management policy" which has implications
for consistency and latency (REPLICATE everything or PARTITION (shard) the
data for both fast reads and writes).

Second, WAN is much more than Replication.  It is a topology used in
Active-Active or DR architectures, or used perhaps for sending a select
subset, "filtered" (possibly transformed), information, based on locality,
and so on.  To refer to WAN as just Replication would do it injustice IMO.

There are 3 main topologies: P2P, Client/Server and WAN. All 3 deal with
distribution (and to varying degrees, replication) of data, which I feel is
important not to loose site of.

My $0.02

-John

Posted by Gregory Chase <gc...@pivotal.io>.