Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by mouss <us...@free.fr> on 2005/11/13 00:45:37 UTC

outscatters list [Was: Temp RBL]

Rick Macdougall a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I just set up a temporary RBL of mail servers that accept then bounce
> later. My personal mail server has been getting nailed for the last 26
> hours with millions of bounces to non existent users from servers all
> over the world.  Obviously it is due to a spam run using my personal
> domain name but I'm sick and tired of servers that accept an email
> then bounce it later.
>
> Anyone in the same predicament ?

seen that some time ago. but some of the guilty outscatters were large
ISPs that I can't just block.

ISPs need to queue mail for their users (in case of temp dns failures,
...), and it would be hard for them to move to immediate delivery if
they don't already have that. they can however do some throttling to
cope with such attacks.

RE: outscatters list [Was: Temp RBL]

Posted by Herb Martin <He...@learnquick.com>.
> Rick Macdougall a écrit :
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just set up a temporary RBL of mail servers that accept
> then bounce
> > later. My personal mail server has been getting nailed for
> the last 26
> > hours with millions of bounces to non existent users from
> servers all
> > over the world.  Obviously it is due to a spam run using my
> personal
> > domain name but I'm sick and tired of servers that accept an email
> > then bounce it later.
> >
> > Anyone in the same predicament ?
>
> seen that some time ago. but some of the guilty outscatters
> were large
> ISPs that I can't just block.

We do blocking ONLY on multiple criteria so perhaps using
a positive here along WITH a subject (or other) filter
on various return mail keywords would work.

I believe this would work well for us.

--
Herb Martin\