Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com> on 2009/05/27 20:47:37 UTC

0.19.2 release needed

I would like to see a 0.19.2 release soon.

0.19.2 appears to be stalled.  I would like to see the stalled items pushed to 19.3 and a release of the more important items already fixed soon.  Most of the more important fixes are already released in 0.20.0 . . .

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP/fixforversion/12313650

19.2 currently has 20 Critical fixes that were resolved or closed since 19.1 and many other important improvements.
Many open issues have not been touched in a month or more.

I have been hit by the following fixed issues recently, and indications based on comments in the core-user mailing list is that I'm not alone:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-5465
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-5241
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-5231
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-5269

Its probably safe to say that using the 0.19.2 unreleased branch right now is probably a much more stable and safe version than the released 0.19.1.

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=12310240&fixfor=12313650&resolution=-1&sorter/field=priority&sorter/order=DESC

The main issues pending are appends / sync() related and should be moved off to 19.3 - or forever as recent comments indicate this may wait until 0.21.

Additionally many of the current open tickets have patches and are close to being closed out.  Yet, 75%  of these haven't been touched in 3+ weeks.

Thanks,

-Scott

Re: 0.19.2 release needed

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.
On May 28, 2009, at 5:35 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:

> Brian Bockelman wrote:
>> Hey Scott,
>> We use 0.19.1 (plus some patches) heavily.  The other CMS sites use
>> the same version -- represents about 600TB of user community :)
>
> presumably this means you have enough of a cluster to do some
> testing on an RC?

Yup, we've got one you could take out for a spin -- one of the HDFS
installs is fairly sizable, but doesn't hold anything important yet.

>> I'd be interested in seeing a 0.19.2 released.  I was kind of
>> hoping lasting for a few months more on 0.19.x and then skip to
>> 0.21.x prior to LHC startup.
>
> So you've got geneva to hold back on going live until 0.21.x is
> stable?

;) You have to remember that we're relatively very small in a very big
picture.  That statement was just one of optimism about the 0.21.x
schedule.

Brian

Re: 0.19.2 release needed

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Re: 0.19.2 release needed

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.
Hey Scott,

Re: 0.19.2 release needed

Posted by Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>.

Re: 0.19.2 release needed

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Re: 0.19.2 release needed

Posted by Thibaut_ <tb...@blue.lu>.
Hi,

I would also be interested in having a 0.19.2 release, or even more
releases.

If you are starting to run your cluster, you don't know which version you
should take. Some releases were unstable (eg taskstrackers running out of
memory, or executing maps sequentially after a certain number of jobs,
multifileoutputformat not working with threads, ..). If we are upgrading to
a major version number, we are nearly always hitting a bug which makes our
system unreliable.

Also now with yahoo's release of their own version, what happens if I use
that version? Will there be more releases after that one from yahoo? Can I
migrate my cluster back to the official branch afterwards without losing
data?

Thibaut

Re: 0.19.2 release needed

Posted by jason hadoop <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: 0.19.2 release needed

Posted by Sanjay Radia <sr...@yahoo-inc.com>.
On May 27, 2009, at 4:08 PM, Owen O'Malley wrote:

> If no one else does, I'll roll 0.18.4, 0.19.2, and 0.20.1 next week.
>
> -- Owen

Owen
   wouldn't it be better for the community to learn how to dot
releases when Yahoo does not.

sanjay

Re: 0.19.2 release needed

Re: 0.19.2 release needed