Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Tim Bunce <Ti...@ig.co.uk> on 2000/06/04 22:11:38 UTC

Wierd user agent strings

Does anyone know what User-Agent strings like these may mean:

  (r\177xx\303\203x0\226H
  (r\177xx\303\203xT\365G
  (r\177xx\303\203xt]D
  (r\210xP\223G
  (r\210x\354\250D
  (r\210xx\303\214xH?E
  (r\210xx\303\214xP+E
  (r\210xx\303\214xXCE
  (r\210xx\303\214x\$EE
  (r\210xx\303\214x\204VF
  (r\210xx\303\214x\204yG
  (r\210xx\303\214x\20\256E

(where \210 etc are octal character values).

Tim.

Re: Wierd user agent strings

Posted by ___cliff rayman___ <cl...@genwax.com>.
you can put whatever bogus strings you want in the user-agent field if you are
using something like lwp-request.  they are probably either:
a ) total shenanigans
b) unicode or someother character set

--
___cliff rayman___www.genwax.com___cliff@genwax.com___

OT: Browsers (was: Re: Wierd user agent strings)

Posted by Roger Espel Llima <es...@iagora.net>.
> Oh fyi, May's score was 80% MSIE, 18% NS..

Here (www.iagora.com, a general non-tech site) I get:

MSIE-all:	64.73%
Netscape-all:	34.04%
Other:		 1.23%

within Netscape:

Netscape-5:	 0.09%
Netscape-4:	92.34%
Netscape-3:	 7.38%
Netscape-2:	 0.19%

within MSIE:

MSIE-5:		69.59%
MSIE-4:		28.12%
MSIE-3:		 1.82%
MSIE-2:		 0.30%

--
Roger Espel Llima, espel@iagora.net
http://www.iagora.com/~espel/index.html

Re: Wierd user agent strings

Posted by Renzo Toma <re...@veronica.nl>.
Good question, we have a database for browser usage analysis. It currently
holds roughly 55.000 unique tags. A good 4000 of em are bogus strings like
posted below. So I love to hear some theories too!

Oh fyi, May's score was 80% MSIE, 18% NS..

Cheers,

-Renzo

> Does anyone know what User-Agent strings like these may mean:
>
>   (r\177xx\303\203x0\226H
>   (r\177xx\303\203xT\365G
>   (r\177xx\303\203xt]D
>   (r\210xP\223G
>   (r\210x\354\250D
>   (r\210xx\303\214xH?E
>   (r\210xx\303\214xP+E
>   (r\210xx\303\214xXCE
>   (r\210xx\303\214x\$EE
>   (r\210xx\303\214x\204VF
>   (r\210xx\303\214x\204yG
>   (r\210xx\303\214x\20\256E
>
> (where \210 etc are octal character values).
>
> Tim.

    ...  ...