Posted to dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org by Taylor Frey <ta...@gmail.com> on 2021/06/04 02:38:25 UTC

Blueprint - Content Invalidation - Refetch

Hello all,

I've drafted a blueprint to add a feature for Content Invalidation termed
"refetch".

Apache Traffic Control has the capability for a user to issue a content
invalidation job into the queue. Cache servers can then request the list of
invalidation jobs and handle them based on some information preset, however
this is currently treated as a REFRESH. By this, I mean the cache server
will treat the regex associated files as though the TTL has expired and
attempt to refresh the content (otherwise known as STALE).

However, there are occasions where we don't want to treat it as a STALE
resource that needs to be REFRESHed, but rather we assume we don't have the
resource at all. In this case we want the cache to treat it as a MISS and
we want to REFETCH the resource from the origin server. More information
can be found in the blueprint. Please let me know if you have any questions.

The blueprint can be found at:
https://github.com/apache/trafficcontrol/pull/5910

Thank you for the feedback!

Taylor

Re: Blueprint - Content Invalidation - Refetch

Posted by Taylor Frey <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hello all,

First, thank you all for the time in reviewing and providing feedback for
the submitted blueprint for "refetch invalidation".

I've since incorporated said feedback and would like to get a final round
of review. The blueprint can be found here:

https://github.com/apache/trafficcontrol/pull/5910

Barring any major discrepancies, I intend to have this merged Tuesday, June
22.

Best,

Taylor