Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Waldhoff, Rodney" <rw...@us.britannica.com> on 2002/04/26 14:41:15 UTC

RE: [pool] PROPOSAL: add collecting of statistics to pool impleme ntations

> I will certainly take a look at
> Avalon. So why is there a commons pool
> and commons dbcp if Avalon does the
> same and more?

I think it's the "and more" part.

I do notice that Avalon's org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.* has existed for
about a month, according to CVS, so perhaps the question should be turned
the other way.

Re: [pool] PROPOSAL: add collecting of statistics to pool impleme ntations

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Waldhoff, Rodney wrote:
>>I will certainly take a look at
>>Avalon. So why is there a commons pool
>>and commons dbcp if Avalon does the
>>same and more?
>

> I think it's the "and more" part.

Now to address the "and more" comment.  The Avalon community is
sensitive to the fact that not everyone wants one big download
with a bunch of "and more" that they are not going to use.

To that end, We have been reorgainizing CVS and the build process
to support users who want the big download, and users who only
want one component, or one part of it.

We have a build system that recursively builds dependancies as
necessary, and yes our new layout looks suspiciously like the
Commons heirarchy.  We *have* learned from Commons as well.

One of the things we hope to address in the very near future
is the website--which we know sucks.  We have begun the
transformation, but we are not done yet so there are broken links
in the Excalibur area.

When we are done, it will be easier to tell what exists, what
the dependencies *really* are (not everything in Excalibur requires
Framework), and minimize the dependancy lists as much as possible.

Therefore, if you only want a command line package, we have a mature
one ready and decoupled from the system--with its own jar.  If you
want pools--we have them too, already instrumented.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: [pool] PROPOSAL: add collecting of statistics to pool impleme ntations

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Waldhoff, Rodney wrote:
>
>>> I will certainly take a look at Avalon. So why is there a commons pool
>>> and commons dbcp if Avalon does the same and more?
>>

>> I think it's the "and more" part.
>>
>> I do notice that Avalon's org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.* has
>> existed for
>> about a month, according to CVS, so perhaps the question should be turned
>> the other way.
>>

> Nope.  Excalibur has gone through a reorg.  Check the location of:
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/all/src/java/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/pool/Attic/Pool.java
>

> Thu Jul 19 07:33:02 2001 UTC (9 months, 1 week ago) by donaldp
>

> Oh, and it existed alot longer when Avalon was hosted under
>  "java.apache.org"
>
> So before you make off the cuff comments that you know nothing about, do
> a little further research.

Oh yeah, the original location on java.apache.org has the following
record:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/java-framework/src/org/apache/avalon/util/pool/Attic/Pool.java

Thu Aug 24 11:21:12 2000 UTC (20 months ago) by donaldp

And that's still after the rewrite of the stuff that Stefano wrote...

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Waldhoff, Rodney wrote:
>>I will certainly take a look at
>>Avalon. So why is there a commons pool
>>and commons dbcp if Avalon does the
>>same and more?
>

> I think it's the "and more" part.
>
> I do notice that Avalon's org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.* has existed for
> about a month, according to CVS, so perhaps the question should be turned
> the other way.

And for the DataSources, the URL is here:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/java-framework/src/java/org/apache/avalon/util/datasource/DataSourceComponent.java

Mon Jan 22 17:05:40 2001 UTC (15 months ago) by berin

That was after it was donated to Avalon from Cocoon.

And just in case you want to claim prior art for an instrumentation
package, we had our first version created

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/all/src/scratchpad/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/altprofile/Attic/Profilable.java

Sun Mar 3 15:59:43 2002 UTC (7 weeks, 4 days ago) by leif

Which has been moved to the new location already.

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
Why does chronology matter?

There are many bits and pieces that were fully developed in Avalon
before they were in the commons, and that does NOT matter either.

Commons and Avalon just have different targets:
 - Loose components for the commons;
 - Framework for Avalon.

And which is better is a religious matter, we have people of both
faiths and it is better to have two "temples" than a religious
war.

The focus should NOT be on "I did it first" or "I am the original
and you are the plagiarist". The focus should be the opposite:

  Lets copy and learn what we can from each other so that both
  groups can reach their different targets as efficiently as
  possible.

Leave the "I did it first" to the corporate politics. This is
Open Source.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar