Posted to repository@apache.org by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu> on 2004/03/20 20:08:33 UTC

Avalon currently is not a paradise!

A significant divergence in the Directory structures of Maven
Repositories and the "dist" mirrors I've encountered involves the usage
of "binaries", "sources" and "distributions" naming for artifact type
directories.

While this isn't much of an issue in terms of the "URISyntax" spec,
which I believe supports any of this sort of naming convention, the
issue lies more in resolving content duplication issues in projects like
Avalon which maintains both structures in their directories. There is no
simple "symlink" that can be approached to resolve these duplication
issues because the directory structures are not the same. IE

avalon/phoenix/jars/phoenix-client-4.0.4.jar
java-repository/avalon-phoenix/jars/avalon-phoenix-client-4.0.4.jar

avalon/logkit/v1.2/LogKit-1.2-bin.zip
java-repository/logkit/distributions/LogKit-1.2-bin.zip

avalon/framework/source/avalon-framework-4.1.5.src.zip
java-repository/avalon-framework/distributions/avalon-framework-4.1.5.src.zip

As you can see there are several different naming strategies being used
in the Avalon repository contents.

See Henk's dist management report's "fyi : some doubles" section:
http://www.apache.org/~henkp/md5/

We need a solution to this issue of content duplication between the ASF
Repository and the separate Repositories that Avalon is maintaining.

-Mark
--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer

Re: Avalon currently is not a paradise!

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Thnx, I would like to see where discussion goes first. The duplication
has been there for some time, resolving it immediately is not high on my
list. Making any significant changes has to be well thought out in
directories that are mirrored.

Establishing a path of convergence for the contents is at the top of my
list concerning this issue.

-M.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.