Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org> on 2018/07/13 21:14:52 UTC

Re: Intentions for 1.11 release timing

Johan Corveleyn wrote on 2018-06-29:
> > [[[
> > Subversions delivers two kinds of stable releases:
> >
> >   * Long Term Support (LTS):
> >     - release every 2 years; 4 years support; emphasis on stability
> >   * standard:
> >     - release every 6 months; 6 months support; emphasis on features
> >
> > Support means we will fix critical issues (security/corruption). We may also sometimes fix other issues as appropriate to the emphasis of each release.
> > ]]]
> >
> > I also invite suggestions for a better name than "standard" for the 6-month releases. ("Quick", "unstable", "enthusiast", ...)
>
> Yes, +1 on this lighter proposal.

Committed to http://subversion-staging.apache.org/roadmap.html in http://svn.apache.org/r1835861

And Brane suggested 'regular' releases, which I like -- it implies both regular time slots and also 'the usual kind' -- so I used that.

OK?
--
- Julian

Re: Intentions for 1.11 release timing

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org>.
> Julian Foad wrote:
> > > Committed to http://subversion-staging.apache.org/roadmap.html in
> > > http://svn.apache.org/r1835861 [...]
> > >
> > > OK?
> >
> > My thoughts:
> >
> > * should say patch releases are not time-based but ad-hoc (Marcin K.
> > just asked about this on IRC)
> >
> > * should say we'll extend the support period if the gap between releases
> > is longer than planned
> >
> > * should say why we are changing to faster releases (to get features out
> > sooner, to make feature development more interesting/rewarding/quicker)
> >
> > When we're happy with it, I'll publish it (and do another short news
> > item saying we changed it).

Having heard no further feedback, I am assuming consent.

I have applied the changes I mentioned above in r1837961, r1837962, r1837964 and merged it all to 'publish' in r1837965.

--
- Julian

Re: Intentions for 1.11 release timing

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org>.
Marcin also suggested we take a look at Mercurial's release schedule Wiki page for any inspiration we can draw from it:

https://www.mercurial-scm.org/wiki/TimeBasedReleasePlan

- Julian

--
- Julian