Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> on 2005/01/02 00:23:21 UTC

Can't load server.xml message

I am an experienced Tomcat user who is all of a sudden having trouble
running Tomcat on my home machine.  I am running Tomcat 5.0.28 and I
get a Null Pointer when trying to start Tomcat.

I have JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME configured.

The very first line in the output says "Can't load server.xml"
(actually the second line says the same thing as well.)  I tried
chaning to the minimal server.xml as well but no luck.

The stack trace seems to indicate a NullPointer exception at
Catalina.await line 619.  I have tried looking this up on the mailing
lists, but incredibly, nobody seems to have experienced this problem!

Anyways, any insight that could be provided would be greatly
appreciated.  I've never had this problem before ...

TIA,

sean

Re: Can't load server.xml message

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Sean Schofield wrote:
> I am an experienced Tomcat user who is all of a sudden having trouble
> running Tomcat on my home machine.  I am running Tomcat 5.0.28 and I
> get a Null Pointer when trying to start Tomcat.
>
> I have JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME configured.
>
> The very first line in the output says "Can't load server.xml"
> (actually the second line says the same thing as well.)  I tried
> chaning to the minimal server.xml as well but no luck.
>
> The stack trace seems to indicate a NullPointer exception at
> Catalina.await line 619.  I have tried looking this up on the mailing
> lists, but incredibly, nobody seems to have experienced this problem!
>
> Anyways, any insight that could be provided would be greatly
> appreciated.  I've never had this problem before ...

I had this problem once when I inadvertently moved server.xml from
/conf.  I think the error message means what it says -- it cant't read
the file.  Are you sure it is in the right place and the user running tc
has permission to read the file?

Phil

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for all the help.  I tried the server-minimal.xml file a second
time and it worked.  I'm not sure what was happening.  I also
installed JavaWebServicesDeveloperPack and some other stuff that might
have been causing an issue.

It was very bizarre because at one point, I had the minimal server.xml
in conf but got the same message.  I agree that the NPE was because it
couldn't open the file for some ereason.  I don't think it was
permissions because I'm using XP.

Anyways, it seems to be working for now.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
If you look at the 5.0.28 src distro, you can see that line 519 of
Catalina.java includes a reference to the server object. Most likely the
npe is happening because the server initialization is failing.

The first error ("Can't load server.xml") looks like it is generated by
the load method when it can't open the file.

Phil

Posted by sven morales <ak...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by sven morales <ak...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,