Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Colquhoun, Adrian" <Ad...@uk.experian.com> on 2002/10/02 16:48:38 UTC

503 Servlet Unavailable when migrating from tomcat 4.0.4 to 4.0.5

Hi,

I have recent migrated from tomcat 4.0.4 to tomcat 4.0.5 (Windows 2000, java
1.3.1). My tomcat 4.0.5 installation appears to be working correctly (I can
execute the servlet examples etc).

I have attempted to migrate an existing web application from the 4.0.4
installation the 4.0.5 installation by copying it (i.e. its directory under
the webapps directory) and restarting the server. The application works
happily under 4.0.4 but immediately generates a 503 "Servlet Unavailable"
error in 4.0.5. I have examined the tomcat log which indicates that the
problem is a ClassNotFound exception for my servlet class (i.e. the class
loader cannot find it under 4.0.5). The servlet class required is present
and is located in a .jar file under the ./lib directory of the web
application.  If I copy the .jar file to the {TOMCAT_HOME}/lib directory the
servlet is found !

So, my question is - Why cant me servlet be located in the .jar file under
the lib directory (using 4.0.5) ?

Thanks

Adrian

of this email.