Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Rong Qu <ro...@hotmail.com> on 2013/07/25 15:45:33 UTC

NetworkServerControl shutdown

We use "NetworkServerControl shutdown" to stop derby network server. We noticed sometimes, the server was not stopped immediately. wondering if there is a simple way to verify the server was completely stopped. e.g. some DB lock file.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

RE: NetworkServerControl shutdown

Posted by Rong Qu <ro...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks for the detail information

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 22:58:05 +0200
From: momaison@yahoo.fr
To: derby-user@db.apache.org
Subject: Re: NetworkServerControl shutdown

      Hello,

      From my experiments, checking connection does not work

      as server is closing socket _before_ shutting down databases.

      And it appears that shutting down a DB can require quite a long
      time

      (I observed once 35 seconds, with a ~30MB DB).

      So I had to wait for db files locks disappearance in a polling
      loop.

      See old thread (not meaningful) :

      http://osdir.com/ml/derby-user-db-apache/2012-07/msg00066.html

      This kind of problematic should be managed by derby server itself

      rather than by client (relying on a Derby internal feature).

      M.

      Le 25/07/2013 17:51, Katherine Marsden a écrit :

      On 7/25/2013 6:45 AM, Rong Qu wrote:

        We use "NetworkServerControl shutdown" to stop
          derby network server. We noticed sometimes, the server was not
          stopped immediately. wondering if there is a simple way to
          verify the server was completely stopped. e.g. some DB lock
          file.

          Thanks for any help you can provide.

      Hi Rong,

      You can use NetworkServerControl.ping to see if the server is
      still up.

      http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.8/publishedapi/jdbc3/org/apache/derby/drda/NetworkServerControl.html#ping

      Thanks

      Kathey