Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Purcell, Scott" <sp...@ltcgroup.com> on 2001/04/16 19:12:46 UTC

Newbie Questions JSP/Tomcat

Hello,
I am new to JSP and especially Tomcat. I do have it installed and working on
a NT4.0 Box.

Anyway, I am working out of Suns book "Core Servlets And JavaServer Pages".
On page 25 they talk about placing Servlets in the install_dir/classes
directory. My install did not come with a classes dir, in the install_dir?
should I create one? I just want to invoke some simple servlets from the
book to get a handle on how things work.

Also, if I place that directory there, and I update my servlet.java file, I
assume I need to recompile the servlet, and also restart the tomcat? Because
that doesn't seem very efficient. But if that is the way it is I would like
to know.

One last Question. my background is Perl/CGI and I have taken two of suns
classes for Java. But I am not very good with the Java language yet. (my
problem is understanding extending, and that sort of OO stuff). Is it going
to be a problem trying to learn JSP without a great background in Java? Or
if I hack on JSP, will that help me understand the java language a little
better? Kind of a egg or chicken thing going here.

Thanks for any advice or assistance,
Sincerely
Scott

Re: Newbie Questions JSP/Tomcat

Posted by Tim O'Neil <ti...@xythos.com>.
Look in $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes