Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Udirley Otoni Pesse <ud...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/25 16:14:09 UTC

The future of Adobe AIR is right?

Hello,

Sorry for asking these questions here.

I have several applications in flex which until then were being executed by
the browser, with the increasing bombing the flash player has been
suffering I find it very hard that it lasts for a long time, and for this
reason I'm switching to air adobe, so I no longer use the browser.
But me there arise some questions, which assures me that Adobe will
continue the AIR support?
There site for dounload can only download for Windows 32 and Mac. What
about Windows 64 and Linux. Am I following the right path?
I have many time s work and I can not lose them.
I have eagerly awaited by FlexJS, but I see that the project is still at a
very high level of development and has little documentation.
I'm being pressured to migrate to HTMH5 but I did not want to, I like the
Flex, but I am employee in a company do not know how long I'll be able to
hold.

I need to make a decision soon, and your opinions will count a lot in this
decision.
Adobe AIR will be kept? This is a sure future?
I migrate to AIR?
You can now use FlexJS?

In short ... I'm desperately trying to save years of work and my job.

--
UDIRLEY OTONI PESSE
Celular: (27) 9316-4909

Re: The future of Adobe AIR is right?

Posted by Benoit Platre <be...@icilalune.com>.
Hi,
I worked a lot and I'm still working with Flash/Flex Air and I like it a lot. Nevertheless, last year I had to explore the HTML5 side, seeing that more and more possibilities were offered to get a rich user experience as Flash can.
While my investigations in this foreign world, I kept my attention on AngularJS... I was very impressed to see that it was the same spirit than Flex. Mxml is Html, as3 is js. There is data binding etc...
Now I feel confident with HTML5, while I learned also css3, html "components" properties etc...
The switch is a bit hard, but I think the Flex experience is quite important for this.
I'm creating web apps working on all devices. In the Html 5 world I think it's not yet very common to think about apps, it's a more page by page  thnking which is totally different that maintaining an entire app live state.
There is a market for that ! And you can package it as an app thanks to Cordova.

Have a nice day,
Benoît

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Posted by Joel Tan <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by DarkStone <da...@163.com>.
Hi Udirley,

No worry, the Adobe AIR support is very much alive, Adobe updates AIR every 3 to 4 weeks.

The following new features of Adobe AIR is coming this year:

AIR – Concurrency for iOS (already available in AIR 19 beta)
AIR – 64-bit support for Windows and Mac applications
AIR – Improved HTML5 support
AIR – Improved video support on Android
AIR – HiDPI support for Windows 8 and Windows 10

See the Flash Roadmap for more information:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/roadmap.html

With Apache Flex SDK + Adobe AIR + HTML5/JS, you can do cool mobile apps like this:
(Use your iOS or Android device to open this url, then download and install it at your mobile device, no desktop computer needed)
http://fir.im/FlexShop
The main frame and the front page of this demo are all made with Flex SDK (not FlexJS), the other pages are loaded with HTML5/JS (not FlexJS) webpages using AIR's StageWebView.
Due to this demo is part of a commercial project of my client in China, this demo is not open sourced.

>Adobe AIR will be kept? This is a sure future?
>I migrate to AIR?
Yes

>You can now use FlexJS?
FlexJS is not production ready for use yet, but the future of FlexJS is promising.

For now, Apache Flex SDK + Adobe AIR is production ready.

Hope it helps.

DarkStone
2015-07-26