Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by David Nelson <ja...@david-nelson.com> on 2004/06/19 20:32:31 UTC

XMLVirtualUserTable problem

I am using James 2.2.0.  I am receiving forwarded mail and using a modified
version of UseHeaderRecipients.   My modified version of UseHeaderRecipients
only replaces the users if they are for a specific domain.  It also allows the
mail to continue after modification instead of creating new mail and starting it
through the pipe again.

I am then using XMLVirtualUserTable to send the mail to a combination of users I
handle locally as well as external users.  That all seems to be working fine.

My issue is when I use XMLVirtualUserTable to return mail sent to certain
addresses, i.e. <mapping>career@anotherdomain.com=error:550 Buzz off you
ID10T!</mapping>.  When I send mail to those addresses from within my network, I
get the bounce message just fine.  When external mail comes in for those
addresses, the mail disappears.  I have turned on debug and looked at the logs -
seems the mail goes through the transport processor and gets ghosted.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my config block (with domain names obfuscated) for XMLVirtualUserTable
in case it helps.  I am handling mail for anotherdomain.com and mymaindomain.com.

         <mailet match="All" class="XMLVirtualUserTable">
            <mapping>*@anotherdomain.com=david@mymaindomain.com</mapping>
            <mapping>career@anotherdomain.com=error:550 Buzz off you
ID10T!</mapping>
            <mapping>careers@anotherdomain.com=error:550 Buzz off you
ID10T!</mapping>

<mapping>dteam@anotherdomain.com=david@myinternaldomain.com;someuser@externaldomain.net</mapping>
            <mapping>employment@anotherdomain.com=error:550 Buzz off you
ID10T!</mapping>
            <mapping>hackett@anotherdomain.com=user1@externaldomain.com</mapping>
            <mapping>harder@anotherdomain.com=user2@externaldomain.com</mapping>
            <mapping>hattz@anotherdomain.com=user3@externaldomain.com</mapping>
            <mapping>hr@anotherdomain.com=error:550 Buzz off you ID10T!</mapping>
            <mapping>job@anotherdomain.com=error:550 Buzz off you ID10T!</mapping>
            <mapping>jobs@anotherdomain.com=error:550 Buzz off you ID10T!</mapping>
            <mapping>kriss@anotherdomain.com=user4@externaldomain.com</mapping>
            <mapping>matsunaga@anotherdomain.com=user5@externaldomain.com</mapping>
            <mapping>mckeever@anotherdomain.com=user6@externaldomain.com</mapping>
            <mapping>nelson@anotherdomain.com=david@myinternaldomain.com</mapping>
            <mapping>nelsond@anotherdomain.com=error:550 Buzz off you
ID10T!</mapping>
            <mapping>personnel@anotherdomain.com=error:550 Buzz off you
ID10T!</mapping>
            <mapping>radiopranks@anotherdomain.com=error:550 Buzz off you
ID10T!</mapping>
            <mapping>resume@anotherdomain.com=error:550 Buzz off you
ID10T!</mapping>
            <mapping>resumes@anotherdomain.com=error:550 Buzz off you
ID10T!</mapping>
            <mapping>smith@anotherdomain.com=user7@externaldomain.com</mapping>
            <mapping>t@anotherdomain.com=error:550 Buzz off you ID10T!</mapping>
            <mapping>white@anotherdomain.com=user8@externaldomain.com</mapping>
            <mapping>wtf23@anotherdomain.com=error:550 Buzz off you ID10T!</mapping>
            <mapping>yikes@anotherdomain.com=error:550 Buzz off you ID10T!</mapping>
         </mailet>

Thanks!
David

Re: XMLVirtualUserTable problem

Posted by Mark Livingstone <ml...@iprimus.com.au>.
David Nelson wrote:

> I am using my ISP's mail server as a gateway.  I can send mail to a particular
> user at any domaon and it works fine.  For some reason though, my ISP's mail
> server is denying my bounce messages back to these same domains.  Any idea what
> would be so different about a bounce message so that the gateway rejects it?

Well, I don't (yet!) know much about James but as a contrbutor to two
mail clients I know that fake bounces are used by spammers as a
verification medium - i.e. see if the bounce bounces! Maybe your ISP has
been getting so many of these, they have done something to stop the
propogation of them?

HTH

MarkL

RE: XMLVirtualUserTable problem

Posted by David Nelson <ja...@david-nelson.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by David Nelson <ja...@david-nelson.com>.
I did that and can see that it is creating a bounce message in the spool manager
log.  When I look in the mailet log I see the following (the message ID is the
same as the bounce message from the spool manager log).  I CAN send all the mail
I want to somedomain.com though.  Any Ideas? :

19/06/04 14:53:02 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Permanent exception delive
ring mail (Mail1087678381832-47: javax.mail.SendFailedException: Invalid Address
es;
  nested exception is:
        class javax.mail.SendFailedException: 550 relaying mail to somedomain.
com is not allowed

        at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.rcptTo(SMTPTransport.java:926)
        at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.sendMessage(SMTPTransport.java:389)
        at org.apache.james.transport.mailets.RemoteDelivery.deliver(RemoteDeliv
ery.java:448)
        at org.apache.james.transport.mailets.RemoteDelivery.run(RemoteDelivery.
java:912)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

19/06/04 14:53:02 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Sending failure message Ma
il1087678381832-47

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.