Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/06 23:22:19 UTC

Is there an option to disable the init command?

Today I thought about how bad it would be to accidentally initialize
Accumulo in production. Is there a way to disable the init command? Or is
it as simple as not giving that privilege to a user?

Re: Is there an option to disable the init command?

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 5:36 PM, David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Unless you're dumb like and put --clear-instance-name into a script.

This option does not delete any data in hdfs or zookeeper.  If the
directory exist in hdfs, then the init command should still fail.  If you
are using a new dir in hdfs and an existing instance name, then that option
will change a pointer in zookeeper, but it will not delete anything in
zookeeper.   The all the data related in instance is stored under a UUID in
zookeeper.  There is a mapping in zookeeper from instance name to instance
id.   The clear instance name option causes this mapping to be set even if
the name exist.  You can go into zookeeper and point the name back to the
old id.

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.