Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ha...@t-online.de on 2006/07/12 06:42:49 UTC

Re: Rejection text

>> On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Paul Dudley wrote:
>>
>> > If we decide to reject low grade spam messages rather than
>> > quarantine them, is it possible to add text to the body of the
>> > rejection message?
>>
>> Rejecting (bouncing) spam is utterly pointless, as 99% of it will have
>> forged sender information. You will either be sending your notice to a
>> nonexistent address, in which case you get yet more useless traffic
>> back to your server in the form of a bounce of your bounce, or your
>> notice will go to some innocent third party, possibly contributing to
>> an effective DDoS against their email account.
>>
>> --

I thought this was about having the MTA saying "555 we dont want that spam" at the
end of data phase .....
Whether it can be done at all, and whether the message can be changed, depends on the MTA
rather than SA

Wolfgang Hamann

Re: Rejection text

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On 12 Jul 2006 hamann.w@t-online.de wrote:

> >> Rejecting (bouncing) spam is utterly pointless, as 99% of it will have
> >> forged sender information.
>
> I thought this was about having the MTA saying "555 we dont want
> that spam" at the end of data phase .....

We're operating from different assumptions. An SMTP reject is okay, a
bounce message reject is not.

Note, however, that this may simply be mving the DDoS amplifier from
your mail server to whatever mail server is trying to deliver the
message to you. *That* server (assuming it's not a spambot) may send a
bounce notice to the forged sender address...

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin@impsec.org    FALaholic #11174    pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org