Posted to dev@pirk.apache.org by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org> on 2016/07/17 16:34:53 UTC

PR merge process

I am seeing that the original author of a PR is being wiped out while
committing the PRs to the codebase.

The 'git commit' command to retain the original author as contributor is:

git commit --author <contributor_email> -a -m "PIRK-XXXX description
closes apache/pirk#ZZ"

This way the original author would show up amongst the project contributors
on github (and build community 😏 )

Re: PR merge process

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
I am far from being a Git expert but I end up on this page a lot:
https://ariejan.net/2009/10/26/how-to-create-and-apply-a-patch-with-git/

Joe

Re: PR merge process

Posted by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@gmail.com>.

Re: PR merge process

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
On 17/07/16 17:34, Suneel Marthi wrote:
> I am seeing that the original author of a PR is being wiped out while
> committing the PRs to the codebase.
>
> The 'git commit' command to retain the original author as contributor is:
>
> git commit --author <contributor_email> -a -m "PIRK-XXXX description
> closes apache/pirk#ZZ"
>

> This way the original author would show up amongst the project contributors
> on github (and build community \U0001f60f )

Yep, it is important to maintain author for traceability of contributions.

There's no harm in having a few committers' scripts checked into Git to
help out.

Regards,
Tim