Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de> on 2016/03/07 18:48:00 UTC

Java 8 for Launchpad

hi,

can we make Java 8 a requirement for Launchpad?

Please keep in mind Java 8 beeing out now for two years, Java 7 EOLed for
nearly a year and next release of Launchpad is still months away (@Robert: end
of 2016?).

We do support Java 8 for modules in Sling parent for some time now, but Java 6
still being the default (nothing to change here).

See also discussion in SLING-5589[1].

Regards,
O.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-5589

Re: Java 8 for Launchpad

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2016-03-07 at 18:54 +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> I'm not against making Java 8 a requirement for our next launchpad -
> hope we get the next launchpad version out in some months :) but
> that's
> a different story.
> A lot of projects are moving to Java 8 and sooner or later we will be
> "forced" to use some java 8 dependency anyways. Latest Jetty is a
> good
> example.
>
> However, in order to support our existing users who might not be on
> Java
> 8 yet and provide them with new features and fixes, we should really
> only require java 8 for modules if there is no good alternative.
> New modules, like validation, can start with Java 8 right away if
> there
> is a good use case.

+1

Robert

Re: Java 8 for Launchpad

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
I'm not against making Java 8 a requirement for our next launchpad - I

--
Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland