Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by kamiseq <ka...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/07 23:24:43 UTC

stateless, not versioned pages - session problem

hej
I have weird problem with session that I cannot explain and that I
don't fully understand.

I started with default application settings and stateful web page. and
the flow is that I
1. request homepage
2. put data to session
3. redirect to authorize with oauth provider (facebook, gmail, etc)
which in turn redirects back to my page
4. get data saved before in session
5. redirect to homepage

then I made page stateless and it works perfectly fine until I set
getPageSettings().setVersionPagesByDefault(false); (I dont need back
button functionality)
then session was not created even though I put there something (well
it is not quite right session is created but not persisted between
requests - just after I put to session I can get the data from
session, but on next request to wicket data is gone).

can you explain why is that?

one more thing after last redirect (step 5) wicket added
?#base_domain=mydomain.com to url.
when I set getRequestCycleSettings().setRenderStrategy(IRequestCycleSettings.RenderStrategy.ONE_PASS_RENDER);
url is as oauth callback (from step 3) and I would expect it to be
clean homepage url (ex mydomain.com/) for both render strategies

thanks for help

pozdrawiam
Paweł Kamiński

kamiseq@gmail.com
pkaminski.prv@gmail.com

Re: stateless, not versioned pages - session problem

Posted by kamiseq <ka...@gmail.com>.
ok currently im using 1.5.3 i ll check with snapshot

Posted by kamiseq <ka...@gmail.com>.
ok so bind on session does the trick.
now I looked at setAttribute method and I dont understand why the flow
is altered when session is temporary.

unfortunately I still get this #base_domain=mydoamin. so 1.5-SNAPSHOT
behaves like 1.5.3
now I looked closely to url after last redirect to homepage (using
ONE_PASS_RENDER strategy) and it is exactly the same as oauth callback
plus this #base_domain=mydomain.com parameter :/
when I use default RenderStrategy.REDIRECT_TO_BUFFER then I just get
#base_domain=mydomain parameter

any ideas?

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I see there is a big misunderstanding of what stateless/ful actually is.
Having an http session or not is related only to the fact that
stateful pages are stored there. Nothing more.
You still can have an authenticated user (i.e. http session) and show
stateless pages.
All user info panels that you mentioned below doesn't require stateful
page by itself.

A page is stateful if it has at least one stateful component or behavior.
A stateful component/behavior (C/B)is one that keeps a state with it
and that state is needed by the C/B in the next request(s).
Such C/B may have a callback url - an url which uniquely identifies
this C/B and this C/B can be requested. In the simple and most used
case imagine a Link with its onClick() method.

So if you keep your pages stateless (by avoiding components and
behaviors which makes it stateful. See StatelessChecker in
wicket-devutils.jar) you can still show user's account info.
A common use case is with Ajax C/Bs. An Ajax call updates just a part
of the page. By default Wicket provides stateful Ajax C/Bs, i.e. they
update parts of the same page instance. Jolira's Ajax C/Bs are
stateless - i.e. an Ajax call creates a completely new page, then
updates the part(s) it needs, then delivers the markup for the updated
components in the Ajax response and discards the newly created page.

I guess we need to create a Wiki page that better explains what is the
difference between stateless and stateful.

Posted by kamiseq <ka...@gmail.com>.
ok I found the reason

oAuth provider adds this #base_domain to callback url. I just dont
understand why it stayed after redirection.

the other issue (that after redirect urls looks like callback) is that
I use ReplaceHandlerException and I rewrite data from original
response to preserve cookies. so I will look at this

Posted by kamiseq <ka...@gmail.com>.
any ideas about #base_domain=mydomain.com problem ;]

Posted by kamiseq <ka...@gmail.com>.
this should go to separate conversation

I created stateless (no stateful components) page if user is
authorized i put his id to session so I can load it on each page
creation (since it is stateless and not versioned it will be created
on each request)

pozdrawiam
Paweł Kamiński

kamiseq@gmail.com
pkaminski.prv@gmail.com
______________________

Posted by Chris Colman <ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Colman <ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Colman <ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com>.
>> Not sure if I have an answer to your question but recently I asked how to
>turn off page versioning and was told to do:
>>
>> getRequestCycleSettings().
>>  setRenderStrategy(IRequestCycleSettings.RenderStrategy.ONE_PASS_RENDER);
>
>Actually this just turns off the redirecting. The pages are still
>versioned.

So would

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Colman <ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hej,

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 12:24 AM, kamiseq <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hej
> I have weird problem with session that I cannot explain and that I
> don't fully understand.
>
> I started with default application settings and stateful web page. and
> the flow is that I
> 1. request homepage
> 2. put data to session
> 3. redirect to authorize with oauth provider (facebook, gmail, etc)
> which in turn redirects back to my page
> 4. get data saved before in session
> 5. redirect to homepage
>
> then I made page stateless and it works perfectly fine until I set
> getPageSettings().setVersionPagesByDefault(false); (I dont need back
> button functionality)
> then session was not created even though I put there something (well
> it is not quite right session is created but not persisted between
> requests - just after I put to session I can get the data from
> session, but on next request to wicket data is gone).

To solve it do: Session.get().bind() when you add the attribute(s).
I think Wicket should do that for you automatically. Please file a
ticket and we will consider it.

> can you explain why is that?
>
> one more thing after last redirect (step 5) wicket added
> ?#base_domain=mydomain.com to url.
> when I set getRequestCycleSettings().setRenderStrategy(IRequestCycleSettings.RenderStrategy.ONE_PASS_RENDER);
> url is as oauth callback (from step 3) and I would expect it to be
> clean homepage url (ex mydomain.com/) for both render strategies

can you try with Wicket 1.5-SNAPSHOT ?
Recently we fixed something that automatically added the page
parameters to the generated urls.