Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/04 20:50:27 UTC

cvs2svn Failure--Bad CVS Reposotory?

cvs2svn fails with a bad diff output:

ERROR: The command 'co -q -x,v -p1.1 -kk cvsroot/Xmodule/X.txt,v'
failed with exit status=1
and the following output:
co: cvsroot/Xmodule/X.txt,v: bad diff output line: "Blah Blah"
co aborted

I checked out the module and commanded:

% cd Xmodule
% cvs diff -r1.1 X.txt
cvs [diff aborted]: unrecognized operation '\x43' in
/usr/local/cvsroot/Xmodule/X.txt,v

I've tried 'od -c' on the file "/usr/local/cvsroot/Xmodule/X.txt,v"
but haven't seen anything yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-Tom

Tom Browder
Niceville, Florida
USA

Re: cvs2svn Failure--Bad CVS Reposotory?

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
might be a useful place to ask this.  Good luck!

-Karl

Posted by Ed Hillmann <ed...@gmail.com>.

> I've dived into the CVS code and see where the error is coming from,
> and it's not a non-printing character as I originally suspected.
> There's a note that the original author thought about reporting
> precisely where the offending character is but considered portability
> issues and rejected that idea.
>
> I'm in the process of trying to use the CVS RCS code to parse an RCS
> ",v" file to see the individual elements and hope to find the culprit
> that way (and I'm a captive audience and don't immediately have to
> think portability, so I'll add some debug stuff to the CVS RCS code).
> If I have any luck I'll report here

My experience was:

1) made a copy of the actual CVS repository to another location, so I
didn't affect the original .v files
2) execute the cvs2svn, finding the offending files.  Some where
invalid end of line characters (which I removed manually).  The other
problem I had was a .v file actually had 2 initial versions.  So,
somehow, someone used CVS to have two initial revision records in the
.v file.  The comments and dates were exactly the same, and I don't
know how it was done.  But, it was easy for me to remove the duplicate
record, and then I could progress.

So, I was able to progress without macking the cvs code itself.  So I
can't help too much in that regards.

Good luck!

Re: cvs2svn Failure--Bad CVS Reposotory?

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 6, 2008 4:14 PM, Ed Hillmann <ed...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2008 6:50 AM, Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > cvs2svn fails with a bad diff output:
> > I checked out the module and commanded:
> > % cvs diff -r1.1 X.txt
> > cvs [diff aborted]: unrecognized operation '\x43' in
> > Any ideas?
> One thing I came across when I converted my CVS repository to SVN
> using cvs2svn, was that the occasional .v file in the CVS repository
> contained Windows EOL characters in it, which threw the script off.
> Once I removed them from the .v file, everything worked for me.
> Hope this helps,
> Ed

Ed, thanks.

Posted by Ed Hillmann <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 5, 2008 6:50 AM, Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> cvs2svn fails with a bad diff output:
>
> ERROR: The command 'co -q -x,v -p1.1 -kk cvsroot/Xmodule/X.txt,v'
> failed with exit status=1
> and the following output:
> co: cvsroot/Xmodule/X.txt,v: bad diff output line: "Blah Blah"
> co aborted
>
> I checked out the module and commanded:
>
> % cd Xmodule
> % cvs diff -r1.1 X.txt
> cvs [diff aborted]: unrecognized operation '\x43' in
> /usr/local/cvsroot/Xmodule/X.txt,v
>
> I've tried 'od -c' on the file "/usr/local/cvsroot/Xmodule/X.txt,v"
> but haven't seen anything yet.
>
> Any ideas?

One thing I came across when I converted my CVS repository to SVN
using cvs2svn, was that the occasional .v file in the CVS repository
contained Windows EOL characters in it, which threw the script off.
Once I removed them from the .v file, everything worked for me.

Unfortunately, it was a trial and error approach.  So it took me a few
attempts before I could get a clean run.  But it was easy to fix, once
it was found.

Hope this helps,
Ed

Re: cvs2svn Failure--Bad CVS Reposotory?

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 4, 2008 3:19 PM, Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com> wrote:
> Sounds like your cvs repository is having problems, so you should ask
> your question on a list where people know how to deal with cvs
> repository problems. (I think we here mostly know only about dealing
> with Subversion repository problems.)

Sorry, of course you're right.

-Tom

Re: cvs2svn Failure--Bad CVS Reposotory?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.