Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Fuad Efendi <fu...@efendi.ca> on 2008/02/08 03:56:00 UTC

Many updates slow down SOLR performance, no commit/autocommit

Question:

Why constant updates slow down SOLR performance even if I am not executing
Commit? I just noticed this... Thead dump shows something "Lucene ...
Clone()", and significant CPU usage. I did about 5 mlns updates via HTTP
XML, single document at a time, without commit, and performance went down,
100% CPU...

After Commit/Optimize it is stabilized, 0.5 - 2 seconds per page generation
(100 facets + 100 products), 15%-25% CPU:

filterCache
class:  org.apache.solr.search.LRUCache
version:  1.0
stats:  lookups : 109294990
hits : 107637040
hitratio : 0.98
inserts : 1658092
evictions : 0
size : 879637
cumulative_lookups : 341225983
cumulative_hits : 337721881
cumulative_hitratio : 0.98
cumulative_inserts : 3504573
cumulative_evictions : 0

Performance of SOLR itself is good/acceptable (even with huge facet
distribution), but it goes down when I do a lot of updates (without
commit/autocommit)

Thanks,
Fuad
http://www.tokenizer.org

RE: Many updates slow down SOLR performance, no commit/autocommit

Posted by Fuad Efendi <fu...@efendi.ca>.
No... I just moved to master/slave, I believe it happened during 'merge' of
uncommitted data... And I tuned merge factor and maxBufferedDocs, hope it
will help... At least, I don't see any performance problem on Master with
600,000 updates since yesterday...

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.