Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/11 23:50:23 UTC

Fwd: SEO?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gav... <ga...@16degrees.com.au>
Date: Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 5:09 PM
Subject: RE: SEO?
To: Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>,
infrastructure@apache.org, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>

SEO can be helped by the project doing the right thing with SEO matters.

The header on that page says :

<META name="keywords" content="business integration, EAI, SOA, Service
Oriented Architecture, web services, SOAP, JBI, JMS, WSDL, XML, EDI,
Electronic Data Interchange, standards support, integration standards,
application integration, middleware, software, solutions, services,
CXF, open source">
<META name="description" content="">

So, you have no description , minus points there. Most of the keywords
do not appear on the page, minus points there.
Another page - http://cxf.apache.org/docs/deployment.html - has no
content at all and has the exact same keywords and exact same lack of
description.
Guess who's using a generic header for all the site ? - Minus points there.

Next up , the W3C HTML validator - oh dear, the most basic HTML
Transitional 4.01 has been used and there are 31 (at the time) basic
errors making the document invalid.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fcxf.apache.org%2Fdocs%2Fdeveloping-a-service.html&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0&user-agent=W3C_Validator%2F1.1

Next up, the W3C CSS validator - CSS Fails with 2 Errors and many warnings -

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fcxf.apache.org%2Fdocs%2Fdeveloping-a-service.html&profile=css21&usermedium=all&warning=1&lang=en

It also fails basic Section 508 Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.

The CMS may be a magic, but it isn’t that good. Projects that want
good SEO need to learn a bit of basic SEO fundamentals first.

Gav...