Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Peter M. Abraham" <su...@dynamicnet.net> on 2006/12/09 16:30:25 UTC

Is there a way to tell spam assassin to avoid any processing of local emails?

Peter M. Abraham
Greetings:

Is there a way to tell Spam Assassin (SpamAssassin 3.1.7) to skip processing
emails sent from our network (public IP addresses are involved)?

I do have TrustedNeworks set up, but I don't know if there is another
variable that must also be set up.

Thank you.

Re: Is there a way to tell spam assassin to avoid any processing of local emails?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 10:30:25AM -0500, Peter M. Abraham wrote:
> Is there a way to tell Spam Assassin (SpamAssassin 3.1.7) to skip processing
> emails sent from our network (public IP addresses are involved)?

No.  SpamAssassin scans anything sent to it.  The only way to skip processing
is to not send the message to SA in the first place.

(note: this will change in 3.2, but it's not released yet...)

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
 Fry: I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be

RE: Is there a way to tell spam assassin to avoid any processing of local emails?

Posted by Leon Kolchinsky <lk...@univ.haifa.ac.il>.

Use amavis + one of the following tips here http://www200.pair.com/mecham/spam/bypassing.html

Leon

Re: Is there a way to tell spam assassin to avoid any processing of local emails?

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Sat, 9 Dec 2006, Peter M. Abraham wrote:

> Is there a way to tell Spam Assassin (SpamAssassin 3.1.7) to skip
> processing emails sent from our network (public IP addresses are
> involved)?
>
> I do have TrustedNeworks set up, but I don't know if there is
> another variable that must also be set up.

The best way is to avoid passing such messages to SA at all in the
first place.

Public IPs being involved is not that big a hurdle. What makes it
difficult is allowing for roaming or dynamic-IP users.

Basically you need to look at:

(1) What is your MTA? Sendmail? Postfix? EXIM?

(2) How is your MTA passing messages to SA? Procmail? Milter? Some
other mechanism?

(3) How do you identify your locally-originated messages? By IP ranges
(private or public)? By authenticated user? Both? What does the
Received header that *your* MTA adds to a locally-originated message
look like?

(4) How do you tell your MTA to recognize those messages? Source IPs?
Substrings from the Received: header?

(5) Once you've told your MTA how to recognize them, how do you tell
it to bypass SA for those messages?

  It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or
  religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own
  folly.                                              -- Henry George
 6 days until Bill of Rights day