Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by "Curtis C." <se...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/03 18:13:34 UTC

Ansible playbook to perform a automated install of 2.3

Hi,

I've created a basic Ansible (a configuration/orchestration system)
playbook to automatically install VCL 2.3 on a CentOS 6 host and you
can view it here:

https://github.com/cybera/ansible_playbooks/tree/master/vcl

Not sure how useful it is to anyone...but it's there. :) Might break
depending on the CentOS 6 template/image you have, but it should be
easy to fix or adapt to different needs and requirements.

Thanks,
Curtis.

Re: Ansible playbook to perform a automated install of 2.3

Posted by Larry Burton <la...@runningcedar.com>.
Thanks, Aaron. This is exactly the feedback needed. A GUI-based
configuration tool can grow or fork to handle almost anything we wish,
including the networking, storage, and other options that are the
subject of the present surveys. Larry

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.
Very cool.

--
Aaron Peeler
Program Manager

Re: Ansible playbook to perform a automated install of 2.3

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
Are you trying to capture a pre-SP2 WinXP image without the host-based
firewall installed?  I'm pretty sure this won't work.  The commands
which configure the firewall during capture and load expect the
firewall commands to be present, even if the firewall is not enabled.
You should be able to capture an SP2 or later with the firewall turned
off.

-Andy

Re: Capturing an unpatched Windows XP image

Posted by Mike Haudenschild <mi...@longsight.com>.
I've successfully captured an XP image with the firewall turned OFF (i.e.
the service is disabled), so I imagine this wouldn't be much different in
that regard.

Now, NOT having those system calls available to the script at all (i.e.
your old/unsupported version of XP) might cause the script to hang/error
out, and there may be other known or unknown compatibility issues with
other parts of VCL for non-updated XP.

Does the Cygwin script complete?  Or does it terminate after that error?

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.
Resending to the user mailing list. I forgot to reply-all

-Aaron

Aaron Peeler
Program Manager
Virtual Computing Lab
NC State University

Re: Capturing an unpatched Windows XP image

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.
Hi Al,

Posted by Evelio Quiros <ev...@fiu.edu>.

Posted by Evelio Quiros <ev...@fiu.edu>.

Posted by Evelio Quiros <ev...@fiu.edu>.

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
Hi Curtis and Larry,
Please continue to discuss the details in a thread on the dev list as
you make progress, especially since multiple people may be working on
similar things.  We need to make sure everything is cohesive.  It
would be great if a thread were started on the dev list describing all
the details you're thinking of including architecture, format of
configuration files, etc.

Thanks,
Andy

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
Hi Curtis and Larry,

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.
Very cool.

--
Aaron Peeler
Program Manager

Re: Ansible playbook to perform a automated install of 2.3

Posted by Larry Burton <la...@runningcedar.com>.

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.
Hi Curtis,

--