Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Marc Missire <mm...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/27 22:33:59 UTC

Progress monitoring for Axis2 OperationClient.execute()?

Hi,

I have an application that uses Soap With Attachments to do file transfer.
I'm trying to determine how to monitor the file download progress; the call
to OperationClient.execute() takes, for example, 20 seconds, and I need to
display a progress bar duirng that time.

I am familiar with these techniques:

1) Using the Axis2 file caching option. I thought I'd monitor the attachment
file, as it grew. I tried this with a 22mb file. The temporary file was
written, but not until the entire time had elapsed and the whole file had
been transferring to the client. Must be buffering it. Maybe this would be
useful with really large files, but it didn't help me.

2) Splitting the download into sections and doing it with multiple calls. I
am considering this, but it doesn't sound ideal.

Is there a way to do this? I certainly can determine how big the file is
before the download starts. But is there a way to monitor progress once the
client has disappeared into OperationClient.execute()?

Thanks,
Marc