Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/18 22:39:09 UTC

Re: Apache httpd vs Tomcat static content performance [Revised/Updated]

If you need to serve static files for a high volume website, you're
better off paying a specialty provider for it. Back when I worked at
verizon, we used Akamai for static files like images etc.

serving up a ton of large static files quickly swamps your bandwidth,
so the question isn't whether that 4% matters. It's really about how
much bandwidth you're chewing up with static data. Unless the servers
are hosted at a Tier 1 provider with OC12 bandwidth or higher, it
really isn't going to make any difference from my experience.

peter