Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de> on 2011/07/30 10:59:36 UTC

How to use the "www.openoffice.org" domain in the future?

Hi,

I've read/heard about the following somewhere here and want to continue
the discussion.

Even when we don't have a decision for an official name for our project
and product, we can start thinking about how to use the
"www.openoffice.org" in the future.

The normal and average user could be guided on www.oo.o for the
following. Examples:

- learn more about the product
- finding documentation
- get the software
- provide help on a user-level

The developers and others who wants to work on (or close to) the code
can do this in the Apache project. Examples:

- participate/collaborate/contribute on code base
- help to improve the quality
- help to localize/translate

This has also the advantage that we can keep the current OOo trademark
because we are still using it. However, we can also explain why we have
to rename the product to, e.g., "Apache OpenOffice".

What do you think?

Marcus

Re: How to use the "www.openoffice.org" domain in the future?

Posted by Wolf Halton <wo...@gmail.com>.
I think this makes sense. IMO, most end-users just call it openoffice
anyhow. The dot-org part is ignored just like the state code in conversation
about "where do you live?"
I can say I live in Atlanta or Oxford,  and there is no confusion about the
TLD (unless I meant Oxford GA US).
I like the name Apache Open Office and I hope we adopt that name, though it
would still be good to clean up any trademark issues about the name" Open
Office."