Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rajani Karuturi <Ra...@citrix.com> on 2014/07/31 06:22:21 UTC

[Summary] checkin process

For the git flow:
1. We agreed to follow git-flow explained here http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/
2. This is the proposal for first cut
2a. rename 'master' to 'develop’
2b. branch a new 'master' from ‘4.4’ and update tags with release/4.4.0
2c. branch ‘release/4.5' from the develop
2d. merge ‘release/4.5' to master once the release voting is done.
3. This would be the flow for a hot fix
3a. branch off from the release tag on master. in this case it would be release/4.4.0
3b. commit the fixes in hotfix/4.4.1
3c. do the release
3d. merge to develop
3e. merge to master and update tags
3f. delete hot fix branch
4. for any LTS release create a support branch when required using git-flow support
4a. http://stackoverflow.com/a/16866118/201514

using the git-flow git extension available at https://github.com/nvie/gitflow can reduce the number of commands/errors

In addition:
1. Every commit should have unit tests
2. every feature/merge request should have unit and marvin integration tests
3. A commit should not have check style or find bugs issues
4. any coverity issues reported in the new code should be addressed immediately
5. every developer should run the BVT on the simulator before doing a checkin (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Validating+check-ins+for+your+local+changes%2C+using+Simulator<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Validating+check-ins+for+your+local+changes,+using+Simulator>)
 (This I am not very sure. May be we should let jenkins handle it and report integration failures if any?)
Please add/amend if I missed anything.

Can we call for a vote on this and freeze this without further delay?

~Rajani

Re: [Summary] checkin process

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 31, 2014, at 3:39 AM, Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I answerred this from my phone but it did't get through so here my
> comment again:
>
> We can't cut a new master from 4.4 without enormous work. I spend two
> days on getting 4.4 in line with 4.4-forward and as Leo has shown the
> work for getting all features from master into master will be much
> greater. So the proposal should be that we maintain 4.4 as traditional
> and start this work flow from 4.5+
>
> As for the additions you gave; these are reviewer guidelines for my
> part not requirements to a work flow.
>
> In general I am +1 on putting this to vote.

Has a proposal made it to the wiki ?
We need one clear proposal with couple backers to bring this forward to a vote ?
Daan, Rajani and Leo, maybe you can edit the wiki ?

Re: [Summary] checkin process

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Rajani,

On 31-Jul-2014, at 11:55 am, Rajani Karuturi <Ra...@citrix.com> wrote:

> ahh… we have the same content twice on the wiki. I deleted the duplicate and edited it as per the comment from daan.
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Git#Git-ProposedGitflowbasedCheck-inProcess
>
> +1 for starting a vote thread

Thanks for fixing it, I think anyone can start the first voting thread. I think we’ll have iterations and we’ll know community’s take on the proposal.

So, please go ahead and start a voting/discussion thread since you’re the one who kickstarted the discussion around the git workflow initially.

Regards.

Re: [Summary] checkin process

Re: [Summary] checkin process

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi,

Re: [Summary] checkin process

Re: [Summary] checkin process

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Summary] checkin process

Posted by Rajani Karuturi <Ra...@citrix.com>.

Re: [Summary] checkin process

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: [Summary] checkin process

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Rajani, we can't cut a new master from 4.4
Leo's work on comparing the branches showed us that. So the new flow will
be limited To master land 4.5+

biligual spelling checker used.read at your own risk
Op 31 jul. 2014 06:22 schreef "Rajani Karuturi" <Rajani.Karuturi@citrix.com