Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Andreas Arrgård <ad...@octagroup.com> on 2005/08/10 23:12:09 UTC

[VFS] Contributing code.

Hi,
I have just started to do some testing/development using the commons-vfs and I have some
questions regarding checkstyle and code contribution that I would appreciate if someone could answer for
me.
We have some production
servers that host several small files that we would like to collect and expose through a web admin interface. Since we have
activemq up and running on each instance I thought that it would be nice if we could use the JMS to share files through the VFS
interface. ie we write the admin app based on VFS and hook up all the servers using a jms provider in VFS.. In the course of
writing the jms provider I also modified some java resources that were in the SVN repository (Shell.java) that I would like to
submit back(you can have it all when it stable if you want). So I modified the Eclipse 3.1 code formatting layout to look like
the code that has been written before and thought that I should use checkstyle to verify the code convention. So I hit “maven
checkstyle” and got:
Unable to
create a Checker: unable to parse file:C:/Program/eclipse3/workspace/vfs/checkstyle.properties - Content is not allowed in
prolog.:1:1
I’m using maven 1.0.2
that seems to download checkstyle 3.4 by default. So my questions are:
Is the “checkstyle” task up to date? Should I use some other version of maven/checkstyle
or perhaps run some version of checkstyle in standalone mode to be compatible with the checkstyle.properties that exists in the
root of the project. Perhaps migrate checkstyle.properties to checkstyle.xml...
Do you want the modified/added files submitted on this list or in
bugzilla? My guess is bugzilla.
also have some VFS design questions, but those can wait…
Finally I would like to add that what I have seen so far impresses me. I had very little problem digging
into the code that has been written so far. Using the JUnit tests for the new provider really helped a
lot.
Thanks in
advance
Andreas
Arrgård
OctaGroup AB

Re: [VFS] Contributing code.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi Andreas!
>So my questions are:
>Is the “checkstyle” task up to date?
Currently I do not use checkstyle. One of the points on my plan to start
digging into :-|

>Do you want the modified/added files submitted on this list or in
>bugzilla? My guess is bugzilla.

Yes, please add it to bugzilla.

>I also have some VFS design questions, but those can wait…
Ok, I can wait too ;-) ....

Ciao,
Mario