Posted to users@openjpa.apache.org by Tedman Leung <te...@sfu.ca> on 2009/05/04 17:37:30 UTC

Re: OPENJPA_SEQUENCE_TABLE created unnecessarily for embeddable classes

There was already a previous thread on this although I can't seem to find
it off hand. I think some one was looking into it already so there might
be a jira openned.

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 09:53:41AM -0500, Michael Dick wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> I think it's worth a JIRA (otherwise it'll get lost in the mail archive).
> Off the top of my head I can't think of a reason why we'd need the sequence
> table in this case, but maybe there's a use case that's eluding me (more
> likely it's a bug).
>
> If you don't have a JIRA account let me know and I'll open the issue on your
> behalf.
>
> -mike
>
> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 8:24 AM, Martin Dirichs
> <na...@dirichs.fastmail.fm>wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > using OpenJPA with all identity values generated by the datastore does not
> > trigger the creation of OPENJPA_SEQUENCE_TABLE. However, as soon as a
> > embeddable class is used, this table is being created although embeddable
> > classes do not have a persistent identity on their own.
> >
> > At least this is the situation I get with a mapping that has all entities
> > relying on generated values of GenerationType.IDENTITY. Introducing an
> > embeddable class (mapped with @Embeddable, but not with @Entity) leads to
> > the creation of OPENJPA_SEQUENCE_TABLE, which is unnecessary in my opinion.
> > This wouldn't be a big deal per se, but it obstructs a quick check whether
> > all identity fields are mapped correctly (as a correct mapping in my setup
> > would not trigger creation of the sequence table).
> >
> > Is this issue worth a JIRA?
> >
> > Regards,
> >  Martin Dirichs.
> >
> > --

                                                           Ted Leung
                                                           tedman@sfu.ca

The world is spinning too fast, it's making me dizzy.

Re: OPENJPA_SEQUENCE_TABLE created unnecessarily for embeddable classes

Posted by Martin Dirichs <na...@dirichs.fastmail.fm>.
Recently, there has been a thread discussing OPENJPA_SEQUENCE_TABLE
creation as a side effect of using @EmbeddedId:
http://n2.nabble.com/OPENJPA_SEQUENCE_TABLE%3A-needed-even-with-IDENTITY-columns--tc2657337.html

I could not find a JIRA issue for that one, so I went ahead and created it:

-Martin.