Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by John Armstrong <jr...@ccri.com> on 2012/08/09 13:55:41 UTC

HDFS group permissions

I'm having some trouble with permissions on HDFS.  I'm trying to create a file in a directory where
the user belongs to a group that has write permissions, but it doesn't seem to be working.

First, the directory:

myuser$ hadoop fs -ls /path/to/parent/
drwxrwxr-x   - hdfs myhdfsgroup          0 2012-08-09 07:34 /path/to/parent/directory

so mygroup has all permissions on /path/to/parent/directory.  Next I check:

myuser$ groups
myuser [...] myhdfsgroup

so myuser is a member of myhdfsgroup.  I should be able to put a file into this directory, no?

myuser$ hadoop fs -put testFile.txt /path/to/parent/directory/testfile.txt
put: org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied: user=myuser,
access=WRITE, inode="directory":hdfs:myhdfsgroup:rwxrwxr-x

I don't even see a mention of the group in this exception message.  Do group permissions just not
work?  And if not, why are they included in the documentation?

In case it matters, I'm using Hadoop 0.20.2 plus some patches.

tia

Re: HDFS group permissions

Posted by Wellington Chevreuil <we...@gmail.com>.
That's not the same, as you could pool only special users (like
administrator or system users) on the group which is the supergroup.
Other users would not be in that group, then they would not have
rwxrwxrwx access in whole HDFS.

Re: HDFS group permissions

Posted by Wellington Chevreuil <we...@gmail.com>.

Re: HDFS group permissions

Posted by Wellington Chevreuil <we...@gmail.com>.

Re: HDFS group permissions

Posted by Wellington Chevreuil <we...@gmail.com>.

Re: HDFS group permissions

Posted by John Armstrong <jr...@ccri.com>.

Re: HDFS group permissions

Posted by John Armstrong <jr...@ccri.com>.

Re: HDFS group permissions

Posted by John Armstrong <jr...@ccri.com>.

Re: HDFS group permissions

Posted by John Armstrong <jr...@ccri.com>.

Re: HDFS group permissions

Posted by Wellington Chevreuil <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,

Have you tried set this myhdfsgroup group in
dfs.permissions.superusergroup property? If you set this property in
your hdfs-site.xml file, this group will be a super user group, and
should have full permissions in any HDFS place.

Ex:

<property>
         <name>dfs.permissions.superusergroup</name>
         <value>myhdfsgroup</value>
    </property>

Regards,
Wellington.

Re: HDFS group permissions

Posted by Andrew Wright <ag...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the detailled explanation on this. I have been fighting with
this off and on in 0.20.203.

Cheers,
Andrew

Re: HDFS group permissions