Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by toffee <mi...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/10 14:44:18 UTC

Configuring ++Environment="LANG=C;NLS_LANG=_.UTF8;MX_CHARSET=UTF8" on TomEE

I have a question on environment configuration for TomEE.

On the old Tomcat, I can use the following line on the command prompt to add
the environment.
As the tool that I need to use requires UTF-8.

Tomcat7 //US//Tomcat7 ++Environment="LANG=C;NLS_LANG=_.UTF8;MX_CHARSET=UTF8"

For TomEE, I try to add this environment on regedit, but nothing happens.
as well as on CATILINA.bat and SETENV.bat.

Which the following lines are added.
set JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_45
set JRE_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jre7

set CATALINA_HOME=D:\apache-tomee-plus-1.7.0
set CATALINA_OPTS=-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Xms4096m -Xmx4096m -server
set LANG=C
set NLS_LANG=_.UTF8
set MX_CHARSET=UTF8

But with the startup.bat, when I add the above line, it works.
But I prefer to have my TomEE worked as TomEE Window service.

Can someone provide me some guideline on where I could put the above
language environment?

Kind Regards.

Toffee

Re: Configuring ++Environment="LANG=C;NLS_LANG=_.UTF8;MX_CHARSET=UTF8" on TomEE

Posted by toffee <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy G,

I tried what you advice me.
And it really worked!
I am super dooper happy!

Thank you very much!

TomEE version:
Apache-tomee-plus-1.7.0

1. Execute command prompt as administrator
Enter the following lines:
2. *d: *
3. *cd D:\apache-tomee-plus-1.7.0\bin*
4. Tomee Service installation
*TomEE.amd64.exe //IS//TomEE*
5. Tomee Service Update service parameters
*TomEE.amd64.exe //US//TomEE
++Environment="LANG=C;NLS_LANG=_.UTF8;MX_CHARSET=UTF8"
*

Remark:
If the line
*service install*
The *TomEE.amd64.exe //US//TomEE* does not work.

<http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/file/n4671738/tomee.png>

Re: Configuring ++Environment="LANG=C;NLS_LANG=_.UTF8;MX_CHARSET=UTF8" on TomEE

Posted by toffee <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy G,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I remember using this method after using,
“service install” on the command prompt.
but it didn't work.

I will try out on the command which you mention.
TomEE.amd64.exe //US//TomEE

And I will let you know how it goes,
thank you very much,

Kind Regards,

E.Y.Tanaka

Re: Configuring ++Environment="LANG=C;NLS_LANG=_.UTF8;MX_CHARSET=UTF8" on TomEE

Posted by Andy Gumbrecht <an...@gmx.de>.
Hi Toffee,

Regarding your initial approach, it should just be like:

TomEE.amd64.exe //US//TomEE
++Environment="LANG=C;NLS_LANG=_.UTF8;MX_CHARSET=UTF8"

The different architecture exe's are as follows (so always use the one
that matches your system):

TomEE.amd64.exe = 64bit OS
TomEE.ia64.exe = Itanium OS
TomEE.x86.exe = 32bit OS

The only difference to Tomcat is that they ship with 'like named'
binaries, but in sub-directories - Or offer separate downloads for your
OS. We just modified the batch files to detect your arch-type and use
the correct binaries. Everything is all in the 'bin' directory so we
only have a one zip fits all approach.

Definitive documentation can be found here:

http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-daemon/procrun.html

Have fun and welcome to TomEE! :-)

Andy.

Posted by Andy Gumbrecht <ag...@tomitribe.com>.
Hi Toffee,

Check out my last blog here:
http://www.tomitribe.com/blog/2014/07/monitoring-an-apache-tomee-service-on-windows-with-visualvm/

It's not exactly what you are after but gives some direction on how the
TomEE service is set up.

Basically the Tomcat7.exe is TomEE.[arch].exe - So you need to make sure
you use the correct 'exe' for your platform and use 'TomEE' as the
service name.

Andy.

On 10/09/2014 14:44, toffee wrote:
> I have a question on environment configuration for TomEE.
>
> On the old Tomcat, I can use the following line on the command prompt to add
> the environment.
> As the tool that I need to use requires UTF-8.
>
> Tomcat7 //US//Tomcat7 ++Environment="LANG=C;NLS_LANG=_.UTF8;MX_CHARSET=UTF8"

   Andy Gumbrecht
   https://twitter.com/AndyGeeDe
   http://www.tomitribe.com