Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Michael Roytman <MR...@Novarra.com> on 2001/03/13 18:46:29 UTC

Newbie question: how to implement a Log Server

Hi,

I've been working with Log4J since yesterday and this is my first post so, I
guess,
I can qualify as a newbie. :)

I am writing a Log Server which is supposed to collect log records from
our java apps and pass them to client app(s).
I have taken log4j sample of SocketServer and wrote a simple SocketAppender
which emulates log records as if being sent from our java apps for testing
purposes.
Everything seems to work just fine.
Now the question: how do I go about extending my SocketServer to register
the log clients and forward the log records to them?
Any code samples or RTFM pointers are very much appreciated.
Thank you.

Michael Roytman
Software Developer
Novarra, Inc.

Re: Newbie question: how to implement a Log Server

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch>.
Michael,

There is already a SocketAppender included in the distribution. Why are you writing it again? Ceki

At 11:46 13.03.2001 -0600, Michael Roytman wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've been working with Log4J since yesterday and this is my first post so, I
>guess,
>I can qualify as a newbie. :)
>
>I am writing a Log Server which is supposed to collect log records from
>our java apps and pass them to client app(s).
>I have taken log4j sample of SocketServer and wrote a simple SocketAppender
>which emulates log records as if being sent from our java apps for testing
>purposes.
>Everything seems to work just fine.
>Now the question: how do I go about extending my SocketServer to register
>the log clients and forward the log records to them?
>Any code samples or RTFM pointers are very much appreciated.
>Thank you.
>
>Michael Roytman
>Software Developer
>Novarra, Inc.

I hope to see you at my ApacheCon 2001 presentation
entitled "Log4j, A Logging Package for Java".

See http://ApacheCon.Com/2001/US/ for more details.

----
Ceki Gülcü          Web:   http://qos.ch
av. de Rumine 5     email: cgu@qos.ch (preferred)
CH-1005 Lausanne           ceki_gulcu@yahoo.com
Switzerland         Tel: ++41 21 351 23 15