Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org> on 2021/05/04 19:45:59 UTC

Commons IO dependency

HI devs,

I'm currently busy with fixing #64844 but something I'd like to try afterwards is the usage of commons-io ByteArrayOutputStream [1], as we have a lot byte juggling involving BAOS and I anticipate positive effects without the need of copying on reaching the threshold.
I would take the build runtime comparison as a rough estimation if this makes sense.
Any objections?
(... I always wonder, why we haven't had commons-io as an dependency ...)

Andi

[1] https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-io/apidocs/org/apache/commons/io/output/ByteArrayOutputStream.html

Re: Commons IO dependency

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.
On Tue, 4 May 2021, Andreas Beeker wrote:
> Any objections?
> (... I always wonder, why we haven't had commons-io as an dependency ...)

Historically, we tried to avoid having too many dependencies. Partly that
was to help downstream users with jar-hell, partly because many of our new
users are also new to Java programing and struggle with getting everything
on the classpath.

Now that most people are using Maven or Gradle, rather than ant, adding +
consuming dependencies is less of an issue for many. However, if you check
stackoverflow, you'll see that a lot of our new users really struggle with
the dependencies we already have...

A couple of the classes in poi/src/main/java/org/apache/poi/util/ are
lifted straight from Commons IO. If it is just one more class we need, I'd
suggest pulling that over too. If it is a bunch, may be worth adding the
Commons IO dependency + removing the copied classes we already have

Thanks
Nick